ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Exported .mov footage is super buggy/jumpy

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mehol guthrieExported .mov footage is super buggy/jumpy
by on Dec 8, 2009 at 9:38:30 pm

I am exporting 3 .mov from green screen footage with the following effects applied: keylight 1.2, matte choker, and photo filter. I also used between 3-6 masks on each composition. The exported .mov's are between 30 seconds and 4 minutes and for some reason they are very jumpy. When played in quicktime they stall or stutter at various points, consistently, for about 1-2 seconds. The audio is fine but the video is not. When I drag the cursor through the playback bar the video is fine (frame to frame) but not when played continuously.

I am working in After Effects 8 from CS3. My computer is running Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Processor 2 x 3 GHZ dual-core Intel Xeon, with 6 GB memory).

I attempted the same export on a quad core with the same results.

Please help :) !

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Exported .mov footage is super buggy/jumpy
by on Dec 8, 2009 at 9:51:58 pm

If you've used After Effects' Lossless output module, you'll get a huge file that's intended to preserve quality -- it is not optimized for storage or playback, and will skip frames on most computers.

You should compress this file with a compression application like Sorenson Squeeze, Telestream Episode, Apple Compressor, Apple Quicktime Pro, Windows Media Encoder, or the like.

Your delivery requirements will determine what compression is required, and you can see the Compression Techniques forum here on the COW for more.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

mehol guthrieRe: Exported .mov footage is super buggy/jumpy
by on Dec 8, 2009 at 10:10:58 pm

I need to maintain an alpha layer. Im putting it through Compressor with Apple Pro Res 4444. Another guy here in the office suggested setting the codec as none and kicking it out of After effects that way. I just want to be able to edit the footage in final cut.

Any additonal suggestions.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Exported .mov footage is super buggy/jumpy
by on Dec 8, 2009 at 11:49:28 pm

You could still use the Lossless with Alpha output module -- FCP will simply render it on the timeline.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]