ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How well will AE run/render on the 27-inch Core i5 & i7 iMac?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick BrazierHow well will AE run/render on the 27-inch Core i5 & i7 iMac?
by on Dec 8, 2009 at 3:34:19 pm

I just wondered how AE will run on the new i5/i7 iMac? I currently own a MacBook Pro 2.6Ghz intel core 2 duo with 4GB RAM, what would the comparison be?

Any insights would be great,

P

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How well will AE run/render on the 27-inch Core i5 & i7 iMac?
by on Dec 8, 2009 at 3:37:50 pm

The key is the amount of RAM. In its multiprocessing mode, AE can access up to 4GB RAM per core. I'll let you do the arithmetic.

Hot graphics cards don't help much in AE, especially in Mac-Land.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Patrick BrazierRe: How well will AE run/render on the 27-inch Core i5 & i7 iMac?
by on Dec 8, 2009 at 3:46:36 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you have to switch AE into multiprocessing mode? If I did on my laptop, would using PS on the side slow it down?

I'm not really a hardware know-all (obviously), its just with HD becoming more popular in graphics, I'm wondering what the best option would be with limited resources! Would you consider using an imac i7 over a mac pro?

cheers,

P

Return to posts index

by on Dec 8, 2009 at 3:52:52 pm

[Patrick Brazier] "Do you have to switch AE into multiprocessing mode?"

Yes. You can read about it in AE Help:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/
just use the search term multiprocessing in the upper right-hand corner of the page.

[Patrick Brazier] "I currently own a MacBook Pro 2.6Ghz intel core 2 duo with 4GB RAM... If I did [multiprocessing] on my laptop, would using PS on the side slow it down? "

I see you failed to do the arithmetic. In short, don't do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Patrick BrazierRe: How well will AE run/render on the 27-inch Core i5 & i7 iMac?
by on Dec 8, 2009 at 4:12:18 pm

...but with an imac with up to 16GB RAM capacity, it would be beneficial, yes? (I try math but it doesn't compute :-P )

Return to posts index

by on Dec 8, 2009 at 4:57:34 pm

[Patrick Brazier] "...with an imac with up to 16GB RAM capacity, it would be beneficial, yes?"

You don't start to see any multiprocessing speed advantage until you get to the 2GB/core level. Since I don't know how many cores are on those machines, I can't say for certain. With 16 gigs, you may have to limit the number of cores you use for multiprocessing.

So you'll have to do a little cypherin' on your own to get the answer.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: How well will AE run/render on the 27-inch Core i5 & i7 iMac?
by on Dec 8, 2009 at 5:02:18 pm

in ae, if you enable multiprocessing and give ae all the resources, then yes running ps will effect the performance. if you limit the resources that ae can use form multiprocessing then you will see fewer problems, but in general i would not plan on using your machine too much while rendering.

as for a difference in processing power between a newer macpro (core i7) and a 2008 8-core one (which i have compared), i found little difference in ae.

the 2009 macpro is 2.26ghz with 16gb of ram, the 2008 is 2.8ghz with 12gb of ram... so clock speed goes to the 2008, but with hyperthreading the 2009 has more theoretical processing power (8x2.8=22.4; 16x2.26=36.16)... however rendering the same comps, i found that the times were the same...

so somewhere along the line, ae is losing about 33% of the potential processing power available to the core i7 mac. and i was finding this on any cpu/ram configuration i could set in the multiprocessing settings... i'm hoping to get more ram to see if 32gb will make a difference, but i really don't think that 32gb will make up 33% that i seem to be loosing....

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]