ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

'Sketched' effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Stone'Sketched' effect
by on Dec 7, 2009 at 1:00:53 pm

Hi everyone,

I have some hand drawn images scanned into AE. I want to create the effect whereby the image seems to 'buzz' and distort - if that makes any sense at all? The Spotify advert shows what I mean:

Can anyone suggest a way of doing this?

Return to posts index

alex dinninRe: 'Sketched' effect
by on Dec 7, 2009 at 1:28:06 pm

Well the obvious answer is to redraw them two or three times and then just loop them.. you'll get the wobble your after...

Or... in AE..

How's about using bezier warp on the image.. and using hold keyframes.. make about three or four various versions..

then either add the loop expression or duplicate your keyframes a load of times.. should do roughly what you need

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: 'Sketched' effect
by on Dec 7, 2009 at 1:42:34 pm

those look like they are drawn that way, like they scaned 3-5 different drawings of the same image and created the jumpy effect that way.

but you could probably do a good job faking that with the turbulent displace effect. you'll want to keep the distortion amount pretty low then animate the evolutions (you'll want it pretty fast to avoid it looking too 'watery').

then to get it jerky, add posterize time and set it to 4-8 frames per second or so.

then just fiddle a bit with the turbluent displace settings and it should get pretty close.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: 'Sketched' effect
by on Dec 7, 2009 at 4:45:43 pm

In addition to the advice given so far, I'll give you a search term that may help you to find where others talk about attaining this sort of result: squigglevision

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Ryan StoneRe: 'Sketched' effect
by on Dec 7, 2009 at 4:54:11 pm

Thank you Alex, Kevin & Todd.
That's given me a lot of options and I'll have a play with them. Special thanks to Todd for making me aware that a word such as squigglevision can actually exist in this world. That is just awesome.

Thanks again guys,

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: 'Sketched' effect
by on Dec 8, 2009 at 3:14:46 pm

The spot you showed looked like the hand had been inserted over the drawings in post. That makes things much easier.

You'd do us all a huge favor by returning and letting us know what steps you took to achieve your desired look.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved