ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Unsearchable Questions!!!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maximilian GreensteinUnsearchable Questions!!!
by on Dec 7, 2009 at 11:21:53 am

I sorry this might be an easy question to answer but I've done a lot of search and have been unable to find a result that matches my query.

Basically I wondering if it is possible to change parameters for one keyframe on multiple layers. For example: I have a short animation where an image moves from the right side of the screen to the left (it's actually more complex than this but for the sake of example...). I then copied the parameters for this animation about five more layers with each layer beginning a few seconds after the last. Now - what I want to learn is a quick way to change the first keyframe for a particular transform for each layer, i.e orientation for keyframe 1 of each layer, then orientation for the last keyframe of each layer - so that continuity is kept.

I have tried playing with child parent layers but I need the objects to move together but independent of one another. Please let me know if I'm not being clear on anything.

Thank you in advance for any assistance. Max

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Unsearchable Questions!!!
by on Dec 7, 2009 at 3:59:42 pm

To change the value of a keyframe, the timeline cursor has to be on the keyframe in question. It can NOT be elsewhere on the timeline, or it will
  • simply create a new keyframe. So you have two options:
  • Move the footage on the timeline so all the keyframes line up, highlight the layers whose keyframe values you want to change, and change the value of just ONE of them. The rest also change to that same value.
  • Change the keyframe value of just one layer. Copy the keyframe. Move the timeline cursor to the corresponding keyframe on a different layer, highlight the keyframe and paste, thn repeat the process for as many layers as necessary.

It wouldn't hurt to read this, either:

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave JohnsonRe: Unsearchable Questions!!!
by on Dec 7, 2009 at 6:22:38 pm

I'm not in AE right now so I can't confirm this and may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I recall correctly that, if you select the keyframes for a particular parameter on different layers and change one of them by dragging its value number to the left or right (instead of typing in a new value) the others change by the same amount. In other words, if twenty different layers have inpoint position keyframes with different values, you can put the playhead at the inpoint, select each layers' keyframe and drag the position value for one of them to move it by 100 pixels ... the others will also move 100 pixels (instead of all changing to the same value).

Note this adds to but doesn't contradict what Dave L. explained ... it only works if the keyframes are at the same timeline spot ... otherwise it'll just create new keyframes wherever the playhead is.

As I said, I can't confirm right now and there's sometimes a disconnect between what my fingers do instinctively while I'm working in AE and what my pea brain recalls so sorry if I'm wrong.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Unsearchable Questions!!!
by on Dec 7, 2009 at 6:51:34 pm

As long as your playhead is on the keyframe of the layer whose value you're changing, any keyframes you also have selected will change regardless of whether the playhead is on them without adding keyframes.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved