ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How would I tackle video screens morphing to a logo

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam LewenHow would I tackle video screens morphing to a logo
by on Dec 6, 2009 at 8:19:37 am

Hi.
I am sure this style of question was asked before but I could not find it, so...
I am looking for a word of advice.
I am wondering what would be the best way to execute a task i am working on:
I will have many (~25) layers of different video and images floating in space and zooming out to form a logo. probably 20 seconds total.

this is the direction:
http://www.ayatoweb.com/ae_tips_e/ae50_e.html#
although I will have much less images or video screens and they would be bigger and videos.

My question is:
Other than creating it all manually, and figure a way to make the change to the logo look great, any thoughts about how to accomplish such task? my head is running in many directions and time passing.

Any thought/help is appreciated!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: How would I tackle video screens morphing to a logo
by on Dec 7, 2009 at 2:41:12 am

In the example you show, the images don't really morph. In video, morphing often refers to shapes changing, but, in the example, no shapes change. It just pulls back and the pictures form another picture by virtue of their coloring.

You're wanting to do this with video and not still pictures? If the video changes much then you won't be able do duplicate this at all because if the video changes, its colors change and it would need to be in a different place. If the video files look the same, you can make still out of them and follow the tutorial.

In either case, you won't be able to do it very well with only 25 images (that'd be a 5x5 block). You'll have to duplicate your images and use multiple copies of them.

If I'm misunderstanding your question, I apologize.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Adam LewenRe: How would I tackle video screens morphing to a logo
by on Dec 7, 2009 at 2:01:35 pm

Thanks Michael!
You understood my question completely, and it helped me pinpointing what I am looking for.
I am trying to find a way to have a video-wall which I could control every video/tile in it, but also to suddenly apply a video or image on the whole wall.
Do I make sense here?
Let's say 8X8 tiles/screens. This can be easily done by hand.
Each one of them is a video. We see a mosaic of 64 screens.
Even with a simple dissolve I would like to have a NEW video cover all screens...

Thanks for reading!

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2009 at 2:19:32 pm

One of the older tutorials on the COW actually involves a bunch of smaller screens showing different video which transition (in a really good-looking way) into one big video. Check it out.

If you want a less-cool, but much easier, method I do have a suggestion.

I'm assuming that your 64 screens are in a precomposition. If not, why not?

Bring in another copy of your 64 screen precomp and use it as a track matte for your logo video layer. Then just keyframe the opacity of the logo video layer. (Or perhaps use some sort of greyscale map-based transition such as gradient wipe based on a precomposed fractal noise or turbulent noise layer).

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Adam LewenRe: How would I tackle video screens morphing to a logo
by on Dec 7, 2009 at 3:36:20 pm

Michael
The tutorial you linked is an amazing lesson!
I am tinkering and playing with it as we speak.

For me, since I wanna have control of the screens while floating in space, your second suggestion is the way to go.
As far as I see it, it's very similar, the difference is Card Dance vs. Hand animating when it come to "floating in 3d space"

As far as for your idea of"...perhaps use some sort of greyscale map-based transition such as gradient wipe based on a precomposed fractal noise or turbulent noise layer..."

I will first try to make it work and look good, later I will deal with the change/dissolve/wipe. didn't think about it yet :-)

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2009 at 10:24:57 pm

Not a problem. Let us know how it goes. (Maybe even show us the final product.)

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]