ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Is interpolated rotoscoping possible?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grayson Earle
Is interpolated rotoscoping possible?
on Dec 5, 2009 at 10:41:43 pm


I've been doing some research on Wacom tabs, animation, etc. and messing around with Flash. As far as I can tell, no tweening option will allow for a good interpolation of keyframes to achieve the Scanner Darkly (or anything like that) effect. I know that the film makers have a proprietary software that does this for them, is it possible without their software? All the examples I have seen have been frame by frame! Someone told me that with After Effects you can do this, but I haven't been able to locate such a tutorial.


Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Is interpolated rotoscoping possible?
on Dec 5, 2009 at 11:03:20 pm

Yes, After Effects will interpolate mask shapes between keyframes that you set.

I recommend starting on this page and checking out the resources that it links to:

"Rotoscoping introduction and resources"

But your question isn't just about rotoscoping. You are talking about achieving a specific look. Don't get confused and think that the A-Scanner-Darkly result is synonymous with rotoscoping.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved