ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

masking with preset affects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kerry maniatismasking with preset affects
by on Dec 5, 2009 at 2:35:16 pm

hello to all!!

im stuck on a project of mine and surely would like some one to help me out plssssss!

i want to mask into a crystal ball with cc snow from the after efffects presets effects which u can find,i draw out a circle with the pen tool but the snow appears on all the screen not just into the crystal can i get the snow fall just in the crystal ball??!?!??!

best regards.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: masking with preset affects
by on Dec 7, 2009 at 2:56:11 pm

There are a couple of tutorials that might help you.
Part one
Part two
Basically, you have to precompose your snow layer and mask the precomp. In most cases, effects need to be precomposed before they can be masked out. The linked tutorials should explain the reasons why and should teach you a lot about one of the most basic things you'll need to know when you're working in AE: precomposing.

As a side note; I noticed that nobody responded to this post yet and that your only other post on here (back in November) was not responded to either. I am aware that the COW is used by people all over the world, and English may not be your first language, so I'm going to try to help you so that you may be taken more seriously.

The word, "please" is spelled with vowels such as e and a (as in my example) and is not just a p and an l followed by a bunch of s's. It may be acceptable in certain areas online, but not in a professional forum like this one. Typing words like that appears to most English-speakers as the blathering of an immature child.

Effects is spelled with an e in this case (it's a completely different word from affects even though they are pronounced the same.) A good hint for the future is to look at what you're talking about (the "Effect" menu, the name of the program "After Effects" etc.) for hints on how to spell things.

Speaking of things that are pronounced the same, the word "you" should have all three letters in it. Even though it may seem clever that the letter u is pronounced the same way, it just looks immature to neglect to type the whole word. Again, this is something that many Americans and British do in many online areas such as MySpace and YouTube comments, but is not appropriate in professional communication.

A question only requires a single question mark following the question rather than a bunch of exclamation marks and question marks mixed together. All that punctuation makes you seem like an overly-emotional 12-year-old who wants to get attention, not like a serious individual seeking professional assistance with a project.

I hope this little side note helps you as you learn the Enlgish language and try to become more of a professional in the world of compositing with After Effects.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved