ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

How the heck does SOUND work with AE?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alec WestHow the heck does SOUND work with AE?
by on Dec 5, 2009 at 5:31:23 am

Ok, so i've been reading posts about sound so i'm guessing you can hear sound in AE, but I'm not getting anything! I imported my footage, and cannot hear any sound. Even when i ram preview nothing. How the heck does sound work with AE????? I guess Its not like premiere pro where i just scrub the play head and you hear sound! The audio panel is all dulled out, but in the timeline i can see the audio waveform on the layer of the footage.

This is boggling my mind on how to hear the audio. This should be simple right? Also, since i'm a newbie, why is teh footage always so chompy when i scrub the playhead??? why cant it be like premiere pro!!!

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: How the heck does SOUND work with AE?
by on Dec 5, 2009 at 3:12:04 pm

[Alec West] "How the heck does sound work with AE?"

[Alec West] "why cant it be like premiere pro!!!"

Because it is not Premiere Pro. Why would Adobe (or any other company) dedicate resources to building and supporting two separate programs that are the same? They serve entirely different purposes and, therefore, function differently ... PP is an NLE application ... AE is a motion graphics, effects and compositing application.

Since you're new, it may also be helpful to know that you'll get more and better help if you don't expect others to do your homework.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: How the heck does SOUND work with AE?
by on Dec 6, 2009 at 2:24:31 am

If you're doing a RAM preview and you can't hear sound, it's probably because you're doing a preview by pressing spacebar which is nit a good way to preview in AE. Press the 0 key on your number pad (not the normal part of the keyboard).

The reason that AE can't be like Premiere is because they're different programs intended for entirely different functions. Premiere is an editing application intended for real-time playback. AE is a compositing and motion graphics program. It is not intended for playback. They handle video very differently because they do different things.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Alec WestRe: How the heck does SOUND work with AE?
by on Dec 6, 2009 at 3:40:10 am

Ok Thanks guys. AE has a tricky concept. Also for other beginners out there, i found that you can click and drag the timeline playhead while also holding done the cntrl button. This also lets you hear sound from the video... buts very chompy, just like watching the video as well.

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: How the heck does SOUND work with AE?
by on Dec 8, 2009 at 2:03:04 pm

AE originally started as a compositing program to layer stuff over video and do things that an editing app couldn't do. Then a timeline was added and it became a motion graphics app. However, it's not an editor and will probably never be an editor, so it should not be compared with editing apps. Assume nothing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved