ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

creating animation for web video. workflow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Mole
creating animation for web video. workflow
on Dec 4, 2009 at 8:38:53 pm

I am familiar with both flash and AE and I want to make an intro video to my site. I've decided using Flash won't cut it for the effects and things I want. So I've decided to make a 45 second video. My concern is keeping the file size as small as possible so it can stream well. Does anyone have experience with this who can reccomend some work flow options? Also does FPS effect file size and should I opt for less fps?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: creating animation for web video. workflow
on Dec 4, 2009 at 9:00:20 pm

The fewer pictures you have per second, the higher quality each of the pictures is for the same amount of bandwidth. There is a threshold of how low quality you will accept vs. how fast you need the video to load. So, yes; it makes a difference on file size.
The question is, who is your audience? With the prevalence of broadband Flash video loads pretty quickly for many people. Are most of the visitors to your site going to have a fast connection?
Another question is how are you delivering the video? Who is hosting it? There may be bandwidth requirements there too...

I haven't had to do much flash video, but what I've found is, if you have access to the Adobe Media Encoder, then render a high quality AVI or Quicktime out of AE and use the Encoder to do your Flash encoding and your life will be grand*.

*not a guarantee

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
on Dec 4, 2009 at 9:15:58 pm

Yes, rendering full-quality and using Adobe Media Encoder (or another quality encoder like ProCoder, Squeeze, Cleaner, etc.) is the way to go ... I'd just add that you'll typically get better results with the On2 Flash video codec compared to the others (i.e., Spark).

Something else to consider with fps is the amount of motion in your video ... if it has a lot of motion, a fps rate that is too low can cause excessively jerky motion, but if it is a fairly static shot (i.e., talking heads), you don't really need full fps, although fps doesn't make a huge difference to file size ... a much bigger size difference is in key frame placement (Auto is fine in most cases).

Return to posts index

Joe Mole
on Dec 4, 2009 at 9:53:09 pm

Let me clarify by what I mean by "FLASH" I have no problem with a .SWF file. as the file format I just want to use AE rather than Flash the content creation program to create the animation. Thanks for the advice. The content will be 10% video footage and the rest images. ( I am a photographer and want to introduce myself and my work via the video)

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
on Dec 4, 2009 at 10:12:35 pm

Ahhh, I get it now ... most uses of the word Flash in this forum seem to refer to video encoded for Flash playback on the web, which is typically in the form of FLVs. So, something else to consider ... when you put your images together in AE, add effects and render out a composition, it becomes video for all practical purposes ... and it is usually best to use FLVs for video and SWFs for vectors.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Dec 4, 2009 at 10:28:59 pm

I provide some general guidelines for planning and creating video for the web or mobile devices (where file size and bit rate really matter) on this page of After Effects Help.

And, of course, there's information about output from After Effects to various Flash-related formats here:
"Rendering and exporting for Flash Professional and Flash Player"

There are links to other resources here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]