ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

What exactly is a compositor?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lorraine collardWhat exactly is a compositor?
by on Dec 3, 2009 at 2:49:43 pm

Hi All, I'm in my first year at University studying a special fx degree. In 4 months I have to have a good idea of where I want my career to go. I mostly played with After effects and created titles and basic effects sequences influenced by Andrew Kramer. However I am now learning 3DS MAX and soon zbrush, my project is to describe my chosen career path and also whom I aspire to be like and also influenced by, however, there are numerous compositing roles and I am slighlty confused about just how many roles there are. I would like to add effects and backgrounds to keyed footage or maybe create title sequences, but what exactly is this role and where is the best source for information on it? I beleive adding the effects is called atmospheric compositing? Sorry about the lack of detail, any help at all is really appreciated.

thanks, Lorraine

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: What exactly is a compositor?
by on Dec 3, 2009 at 3:39:11 pm

There is a company that sells a course on DVD on effects and compositing. I'm not suggesting that you buy it, but if you nose around the web site, you'll get a better feel for the processes and workflow behind effects and compositing.

Since there are seemingly new advances in hardware and software every day, people's places in the workflow can be pretty darned chaotic. But anyway, here's the link:

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: What exactly is a compositor?
by on Dec 3, 2009 at 4:13:03 pm

A compositor is someone who puts multiple images together into one image---usually to make the pieces look like they were shot together.

You also mention doing titles. This is quite far from what is usually referred to as "compositing". Consider that the titles are almost never integrated into a scene to look like they're part of the scene itself. Title creation and other text animation is a subset of motion graphics.

After Effects is used both for compositing and for motion graphics.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved