ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Dying text

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edward Barton
Dying text
on Dec 3, 2009 at 1:37:50 pm

Not sure how better to describe it but the effect I'm looking for is text that withers up and dies ala Requiem for a dream titles and I think Eternal Sunshine.

Simple dissolve effect but I'm a bit of a beginning to After Effects (well I know the basics enough to keyframe effects but I'm no expert).

Are there any tutorials out there that could advise me on how to achieve this?


Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
Re: Dying text
on Dec 3, 2009 at 9:11:30 pm

If I've seen those films, I don't recall the title sequences and my guess is the same will be true for many others here ... perhaps you could post a link to an example of what you're trying to do.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Dying text
on Dec 3, 2009 at 10:06:10 pm

As Dave said, I don't really know what you want about from your brief description and I don't remember those film's titles at all.

But to wither your text, you might look at the Effect>Stylize>Roughen edges
Keyframing the border will get the text disappearing in a sort of withery fashion. There are tons of other things you'll want to consider, if you're going for a professional-looking effect. You'll want to consider the color and if it should change, you may want to add some particles (again, I'm not sure what you're really after here, this is just off the top of my head), and perhaps some other distortion as it withers.

(Why do I keep trying to type whithers? The third-person singular simple present indicative form of whither has nothing to do with this discussion.)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Dying text
on Dec 4, 2009 at 12:00:31 am

without a plugin like 3d warp, you're left with distort mesh warp or other 2-D distort effects with paper that aren't as good. You really need 3-D manipulation,ie Maya.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved