ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Fire border

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick GipsonFire border
by on Dec 2, 2009 at 5:52:11 pm

I just got After Effects and I'm trying to make a fire border around a video. I have no idea what to do, can anyone help me.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Fire border
by on Dec 2, 2009 at 5:59:51 pm

[Nick Gipson] "I just got After Effects... I have no idea what to do... "

Oh, I can imagine. That's why I am very diplomatically going to refer you to the following thread:

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: Fire border
by on Dec 2, 2009 at 9:25:33 pm

Get a 16x9 frame made of steel. Place the frame in a very large dark room. Wrap it in some rags, secure the rags with copper wires (not nylon zipties. Use an accelerant that will produce the color of flame you wish.
Shoot it.
Capture the footage, put it into AE, scale and position. add a feathered mask. Use any of several composite modes, probably screen.

Assumes you are an adult.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Fire border
by on Dec 3, 2009 at 10:20:55 pm

Also, make sure you have at least one, trained fire safety professional on hand, for insurance purposes.
But rather than constructing it yourself, perhaps you should look into hiring a professional pyrotechnician; they can assure you the right look.

Alternatively, you could use stock footage such as this clip from Artbeats. Or, if you want more control, a multitude of clips and (using a layer blending mode such as screen, or add) composite them around your image.
There is also some excellent fire footage in Digital Juice's Compositor's Toolkits (both 1 and 2)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Jon GeddesRe: Fire border
by on Dec 5, 2009 at 3:17:45 pm

I provide detailed instructions in this thread:

Jon Geddes

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved