ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

MAPS - What size should I make the source file?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John MecklenborgMAPS - What size should I make the source file?
by on Dec 2, 2009 at 4:49:54 pm

I am in the process of making several map GFX for a show pilot, but am unsure of what size I need to make my source files. My problem lies in the fact that when I zoom in from a nice crisp wide shot of a state or country to a specific area/city, maintaining a high resolution is always an issue. The maps I'm using are originally AI files. When I attempt to import these originals, AE seems to rasterize causing the obvious pixelization when zoomed in. Perhaps I'm importing these wrong, and that would solve my problem. I have also tried jpegs of various size and dpi combinations, but nothing seems to do the trick. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, the show is SD.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: MAPS - What size should I make the source file?
by on Dec 2, 2009 at 5:24:20 pm

You're going to love this fix for its simplicity.

For Illustrator documents or any other kind of VECTOR-ONLY artwork, turn on the Continuous Rasterization switch. Here, read up on it:

Your Illustrator documents retain those nice, sharp edges no matter how much you scale 'em up. Pretty darned cool. Now, if your Illustrator document contains any bitmapped layers, this won't work. Vectors only.

And if you plan to work in 3D, the Continuously Rasterize switch instantly becomes the Collapse Transformations switch when you turn the vector layer into 3D. This Collapse Transformations gizmo has big implications for 3D precomps, not so many for simple 3D layers.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John MecklenborgRe: MAPS - What size should I make the source file?
by on Dec 2, 2009 at 8:00:34 pm

Thanks, that was really easy. I feel like I should have already known that.
John Mecklenborg
Video Editor/Motion GFX
Jupiter Entertainment
Knoxville, TN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved