ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Need some ideas please

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
les nemethNeed some ideas please
by on Dec 2, 2009 at 12:05:30 pm

I have created this background in PS. I used a custom brush. So basically I am going over my head for a few hours now about how could I animate this.

I'd like the middle white region to stay as it is and I'd like the brush strokes around the outer perimeter to slowly move/twirl like plasma or something rather.

The animation will be about a minute at 24fps. I don't think I want to paint 1440 frames, so that's out of the question.

I have Trapcode Form, so I was thinking about playing with the settings, but it can really be demanding on the processor even with 4 cores just to preview something more complex.

So basically I was just looking for some creative feedback what would be the best (and somewhat painless) way to create some slow moving plasma animation based on this image. Snapshot attached.

Return to posts index

adam taylorRe: Need some ideas please
by on Dec 2, 2009 at 12:32:55 pm

you could try creating a greyscale plasma effect in a separate comp, using fractal noise and whatever else gives you the swirly patterns you want.

Then use a very soft edged mask to cut the centre out to white - so you have white centre and swirly edges..

then in your animation comp, bring in the plasma comp, and use it to drive a displacement effect on your artwork. Thats should add some subtle motion to your image around the edges.

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

Return to posts index

les nemethRe: Need some ideas please
by on Dec 2, 2009 at 5:22:12 pm

Hmmmm.. interesting. I've already played with the fractal noise but didn't gave me what I've been looking for. However, I didn't think of coupling that with the displacement effect. I'm going to try that, thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved