ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Export settings

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ninja Tunbjer
Export settings
on Dec 2, 2009 at 9:06:58 am

Hello!

I have edited some films in After Effects and want to export them to Quicktime format, but am a little confused about which settings to use. I film in HD qaulity and want to keep it as good as possible. I would like to export to a format that I can use for both DVD and sites like Vimeo. When I output the films now it takes about 15 hours for three minutes of film! And also the file size is larger than 500 MB... So I would be very happy if anyone could help me a little with this! :)

The settings that I'm using are these:

- Compression codec: H.264 (I would like to keep this but rather change some of the below settings)

- Framerate: current

- Quality High (or should I use Best?)

- Dataspeed/datarate: Automatic, or I read that 5000Kbit/s was good for HD (this setting apparently detemines the filesize which I need to reduce)

- Size HD 1280x720, 16:9

- Letterxox and Deinterlace

- Sound: I read that I should choose AAC, but there isn't any such option. I can choose 24 bit, alac etc, but don't understand this so I choose uncompressed. 44.100 kHz

Very grateful for any help!

Kind regards
Ninja

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Export settings
on Dec 2, 2009 at 3:52:26 pm

Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all. I recommend asking a few questions at the COW's Compression Techniques forum.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ninja Tunbjer
on Dec 2, 2009 at 8:03:28 pm

Thank you very much Dave! This was news to me and very very good to know! And good to hear that it isn't just me not getting what to do! :) I'll have a look at that Forum instead!
Again, thanks so much!
Ninja

Return to posts index

Ninja Tunbjer
on Dec 3, 2009 at 8:12:48 am

But what settings should I have for the high quality file from AE then? The once I'm using takes forever and or crashes after a day or so. I have put my question in the Compression Techniques forum, so hopefully I'll get some help there too! Thanks!
Ninja

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 3, 2009 at 3:52:44 pm

[Ninja Tunbjer] "The once I'm using takes forever and or crashes after a day or so..."

As I recall, you were trying to use H.264, which takes a bit of time to encode. Of course, you could also be making additional AE rookie dumb mistakes that eat up render time and crash the application. Things like using Open GL, turning on multiprocessing when you don't have enough RAM for it and using HDV footage that's still in its acquisition codec.

[Ninja Tunbjer] "But what settings should I have for the high quality file from AE then? "

Since I'm a Mac guy, I instantly gravitate to Quicktime movies using either the PNG or Animation codecs. At best quality, they're lossless.

But you say you're on a Windows box? Go ask an AE practitioner who runs Windows.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ninja Tunbjer
on Dec 4, 2009 at 9:36:05 am

Thanks so much Dave! :)I'm self tought so yes I'm probably making al kinds of mistakes! :)

- For example, I don't knor how to use/not use Opel GL...?

- I did have the multiprocessing of, I'll try with it on now mut if that doese't help I'll turn it of again.

- How do I know if the HDV footage is/isn't still in its acquisition codec?

Yes I'm on Windows, but I'll try Animation if it still doesn't work with H.264 (this is a sugestion from Vimeo, where I put the films).

Anyway, thanks so much! :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]