ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Burn Effect...KInd of :)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew RamseyBurn Effect...KInd of :)
by on Dec 2, 2009 at 5:46:13 am

This effect is just for a short intro for some of my videos.I am trying to create this effect on 3 playing cards (King of Spades, Diamond and Hearts). The three cards will be lined up facing the camera then they begin to burn from the bottom up. However the burn outlines the features of the cards (the king, the box around the king and the letter "K"). I want it to burn up to the "K" in the top left corner then create an outline around the "K" thus allowing the words Magik Effekt Produktions to fade in from the burn smoke and the burned "K" from each playing card aligns with the text (Magik Effekt Produktions).i can handle some of this but i can't figure out how to do the burn outline... any ideas?

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: Burn Effect...KInd of :)
by on Dec 2, 2009 at 3:38:58 pm

Forget the smoke and other particles for now.
Deconstruct it from the end, working backwards. Start by assuming you will need separate layers and precomps for each of your effects and try to imagine each of the steps as a different project. Set them up one at a time and then you can figure out how to combine them.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Burn Effect...KInd of :)
by on Dec 2, 2009 at 5:47:25 pm

I've done something similar to this, burning a ticket ("It's the hottest ticket in town!").

The ticket was a photoshop file, but the flames were on a black art card in the same dimensions as the ticket. Actually, I mean the same aspect ratio as the ticket: the art card was at least three feet long. We spread lighter fluid strategically on the edges of the card to guide the flames. We shot in a blacked-out studio with three people manning fire extinguishers.

Yeah, it took a few takes, but it worked like a charm and and looked stinkin' REAL. Hey, it WAS real, y'know? Well worth the effort.

The good Mr. Bogesian and I both subscribe to the philosophy that there's no effect like a practical effect.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matthew RamseyRe: Burn Effect...KInd of :)
by on Dec 2, 2009 at 8:27:27 pm

do you have a video link to the final product for the "hottest ticket"? i would still like to work on this effect (even though i wont use it for the K.K.K. idea. ;P) and would like a visual.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 2, 2009 at 8:47:17 pm

Sorry, no. I made the spot about 10 years ago, using AE 3.1. No links. But you get the general idea, I think.

The trick: spreading the fire accelerants and fire retardants on the spots where you want the card to burn... and not burn. It pays to do tests before you shoot.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Matthew WoodsRe: Burn Effect...KInd of :)
by on Dec 3, 2009 at 6:07:24 pm

If you want a visual example of a practical fire effect, I put one here.
It was for a Children's interactive piece we did for the Chicago History Museum.
We just needed a wipe, so the effect is probably a simpler than Dave's.
It was done about 4 years ago, shot on mini dv in a garage, yet it looked great.

http://www.paperdragongames.com/ChicagoSoundDemo.mov

The clip also contains a Creative Cow appropriate shot of a Cow licking the camera. :)

-Matt

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: Blow it UP!
by on Dec 2, 2009 at 9:21:30 pm

Well, yeah, setting stuff on fire is always more fun than trying to use Particle Playground or DigiEffects Brimstone.
But what I was seeing in my mind was a series of mattes and outlines to which CC Particle Systems are applied so they glow and spark and emit smoke, You stack that with Burn Film or a Fractal wipe with edges and you've got a burning K.

Good catch on the KKK, Woods. Bad mojo here in the States.

Using fire as a practical effect takes practice, which is a lot of fun, and there are innumerable Web sites that get into practical fire effects and the cool tools you didn't know were available at your local magic shop or online pyrotechnics supplier. A/B chemicals, sparkling powders, smoke powders and liquids, colored flame liquids, flash papers, slow papers, squibs, fuses, and LaRonde's favorite word "accelerants" are all available without licensing. Buy extras.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

by on Dec 2, 2009 at 6:41:15 pm

I did a similar effect where I burned green origami paper against a black background and chroma keyed into the green. It worked really well.

On a side note, you might want to reconsider abbreviating your logo to K. K. K. with a burning effect. Bad connotations.

-Matt

Return to posts index

by on Dec 2, 2009 at 7:10:13 pm

[Matthew Woods] "...you might want to reconsider abbreviating your logo to K. K. K. with a burning effect. Bad connotations. "

Great catch. I hadn't visualized that sufficiently. To me, that imagery is enough to go back to Square One on this little project. That's a deal breaker right there.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Matthew RamseyRe: Burn Effect...KInd of :)
by on Dec 2, 2009 at 8:24:46 pm

Thanks for catching that guys! I never put those two together and I am definitely going to reconsider the idea now! It always helps to have a seperate set of eyes look at a project :) Thanks again for the help! These forums are awesome :D

Return to posts index

by on Dec 3, 2009 at 2:37:07 pm

No problem. Glad I could help.
Its easy to miss things like that when you are too close to a project.

Cheers,

-Matt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]