ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Timestretch.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richie Tovell
Timestretch.
on Dec 1, 2009 at 9:50:23 pm

Having trouble finding a good timestretch effect, is there a plugin that can interpolate nicely between frames when the frame rates get really low?

The timestretching that I've used so far in AE is very jumpy and when you get down to extremely low frame rates around 2 fps it's like looking at one still image after another, I realise this is what they actually are but surly there must be a plugin that can effect these kinds of stretched clips with morphing techniques or somehow interpolate between them more gently? . . . I thought AE could do that actually?

Coda - musical selections; in film, the ending or last section of a film (often wordless).

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
Re: Timestretch.
on Dec 1, 2009 at 10:01:52 pm

Twixtor.
If you have trouble, do it in stages: 50%, then 50%, then 50% maybe.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 2, 2009 at 3:38:45 pm

If your footage is interlaced and you're trying Twixtor, check out Marco Solorio's article on deinterlacing for Twixtor here:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/solorio_marco/twixtor_review.php

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 1, 2009 at 10:08:14 pm

When you start slowing down 59.94 video to two stinkin' frames a second, NOTHING is going to help. Not frame rate conversion hardware, and not frame rate conversion software. There just isn't enough information in the images for adequate in-betweening. You are literally asking for miracles.

It's time to get -- or rent -- a camera that shoots at a higher frame rate. 1200 frames/second, perhaps. Perhaps even faster. They make 'em, y'know.

A quick google of "slow-motion camera" revealed a bunch of possibles. With a little refinement in the search, I'm sure you'll find just the thing.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Dec 1, 2009 at 10:23:50 pm

Upon reflection ...

Dave's right. If you want it to look good, shoot it high-frame-rate in the first place. If you Twixtor down to 2 fps in 50% stages, you could get really weird distortions, especially if you have blurred movement or repetitive images, such as the spokes of a wheel. (Did the 12-spoke wheel rotate 30 degrees or 60? In all the confusion, I kind of lost count myself.)

Or you could download a demo and try it.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 1, 2009 at 10:51:24 pm

Here's an analogy from the world of audio:

They make plugins that can slow down audio without altering pitch. They're great for minor adjustments, but if you slow 15 seconds of audio down to make it two minutes long, the results will be somewhat less than satisfactory.

The same applies to time-stretching video.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Dec 2, 2009 at 2:32:05 am

Don't forget Timewarp.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]