ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Card Dance renders change depending on comp resolution

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian BaldwinCard Dance renders change depending on comp resolution
by on Dec 1, 2009 at 9:34:10 pm

This is the weirdest issue that I've ever had with After Effects! I'm using the card dance plugin to give the effects of multiple images in space, however when I change the resolution of the comp (from say 50% to 100%) it changes the positions of the images in the mosaic.

Also, when I use the render queue to render out a video, my entire comp seems to have "zoomed in"... But when I render a video using file > export > quicktime movie it renders out just fine?!?! I'm using AE CS4. I'm convinced that it's something to do with Card Dance and not my system.

If anyone has had this same problem and fixed it, PLEASE tell me what you did! Thank you.

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Card Dance renders change depending on comp resolution
by on Dec 1, 2009 at 11:00:29 pm

I'm never seen what you describe however when you render you render the Active Camera. I've just done a test on my system and it behaves normally. There's something else going on with your file.

Precomp? Collapsed transformations?

Try resetting your prefs to default holding down all modifier keys when you launch After Effects.

(Ctrl+Alt+Shift on the PC, Command + Option + Shift on the Mac.)

Return to posts index

Brian BaldwinRe: Card Dance renders change depending on comp resolution
by on Dec 1, 2009 at 11:34:45 pm

Thanks Brian!

It's really weird and I've never had this happen to me before. I've uploaded a few examples of how it's behaving so that you can better see what I'm talking about. All feedback is helpful at this point!

This is with the resolution set at "half".
http://www.twentyfortyone.com/img/card-dance-1.png

This is with the resolution set at "full".
http://www.twentyfortyone.com/img/card-dance-2.png

notice how the image set at "full" has a different look than the images at "half". WTF?

Return to posts index

by on Dec 2, 2009 at 12:01:02 am

I'm with Dave :).

How are you offsetting the cards in Z space, a gradient layer or the layer itself?? What is controlling the separation of the cards?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Card Dance renders change depending on comp resolution
by on Dec 1, 2009 at 11:28:25 pm

I'm with Brian Charles on this one: I think you got your Card Dance animation painstakingly set up... but in one of AE's 3D views, and not the Active Camera.

The fix: position the active camera to match the 3D view. That's the only way to do it. You can't cut & paste settings from a view to a camera.

Hey, it happens to all of us... once. Then we wise up.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Dec 1, 2009 at 11:37:20 pm

David, I'm sure I have my comp set to the "active camera" (see images I posted above). Another company developed the project, I'm just editing it to fit our new needs and it's just not working the way it should...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Card Dance renders change depending on comp resolution
by on Dec 1, 2009 at 11:58:35 pm

Okay, you're using an active camera. What's controlling the card dance properties? Is it some detailed image that looks significantly different when it's at half resolution?

That's about the only thing I can come up with at the moment...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Dec 2, 2009 at 12:20:48 am

there is one big photoshop file that is divided into square quadrants so that when we set the rows and columns the images are divided equally. So even if the image is losing quality it shouldn't be repositioning itself or toggling the card dance settings.

I've attached a screenshot of my card dance settings in my timeline. What's weird though is that when I render by going to file > export > quicktime movie, it exports it as seen... weird.

http://www.twentyfortyone.com/img/card-dance-3.png

Return to posts index

by on Dec 2, 2009 at 12:48:27 am

I notice that the layer is a comp. Are transformations collapsed?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]