ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Digital TV 'cliff effect' distortion

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Keiichi MatsudaDigital TV 'cliff effect' distortion
by on Dec 1, 2009 at 8:29:42 pm

Hi there,

Im trying to create the look of digital TV distortion/bad signal in AE. I havent seen this technique used much, but theres little bits in the UK big brother 10 title sequence:

... and more general digital distortion here:

Looks pretty tricky, does anyone have any suggestions? could use time warp with a fractal noise matte over another layer of footage, or repeatedly export/import at low quality, but I really wanted the effect where the frame freezes,and then the moving pixels from subsequent frames kind of smear the frozen frame around. Know what I mean? Hard to explain, but would really appreciate your esteemed input!

Thanks in advance,
Kei

Return to posts index

Richie TovellRe: Digital TV 'cliff effect' distortion
by on Dec 1, 2009 at 9:42:44 pm

The Digi effects packs are very close to this, there's an effects called Bad codec which might be what you want, you might also be interested in "Bad TV" and Blockade.

I'd recommend all of their effects, they're absolutely awesome, you may want to spend quite a bit of time browsing what they have, though I can't find exactly what your looking for (heavy image buffering effect) these are all similar. .

http://www.digieffects.com/

Coda - musical selections; in film, the ending or last section of a film (often wordless).

Return to posts index

Keiichi MatsudaRe: Digital TV 'cliff effect' distortion
by on Dec 2, 2009 at 8:29:54 pm

Thanks man, digieffects looking good! would like to make this myself, but always nice to know that there's something to fall back on.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Digital TV 'cliff effect' distortion
by on Dec 2, 2009 at 7:22:04 am

mosaic
"offset" filter or motion tile to do a quick roll
turbulent displace with complexity set high
channel-channel combiner
cc- bender sharp
timeremap

mess with those as track mattes and this random wiggle freezing code on various plugin parameters.

v=wiggle(5,50);
if(v < 50)v=0;
if(v > 50)v=100;
v

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Keiichi MatsudaRe: Digital TV 'cliff effect' distortion
by on Dec 2, 2009 at 8:31:00 pm

Right, will get stuck in to this. Thanks very much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]