ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Bullet time in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mari LopesBullet time in AE
by on Dec 1, 2009 at 7:40:26 pm

Hi there!

I want to create the famous bullet time effect. I've got the sequence of pictures but not sure what to do with them. What software would be better AE or FC? And how do I blend them so the final result looks convincing?

Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Bullet time in AE
by on Dec 1, 2009 at 8:22:01 pm

You may have just put the cart before the horse.

What is this sequence of pictures you're talking about? All taken at the same moment in time, I expect? What kind of footage precedes and follows this sequence of pictures? At what frame rate will you do your work? Is there any keying, motion tracking or matchmoving involved? Did you place the appropriate markers to do a matchmove?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

And if most of the questions above are Greek to you, you should read this:

Dave's Stock Answer #2:

When you're out on a shoot, and you say, "we'll fix this in post" without knowing PRECISELY HOW you're going to fix it in post, don't shoot it! You'll only end up shooting it over again.

Since post typically costs three times the cost of production, fixing something in post is not a way to save money, but rather a way to spend more of it.

And, before you say "well fix it in post," always consider who's doing the work, especially if you're the one doing the editing.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Padraic CulhamRe: Bullet time in AE
by on Dec 1, 2009 at 10:09:06 pm

Dave - do you have your STOCK ANSWERS posted anywhere? And if not, maybe we should make rumblings to the Cowlords that they SHOULD be somewhere. I'd love to be able to access the wisdom without having to scroll through threads.

Mac Pro 2x2.8 QuadCore; 6GB RAM; FCStudio2; Adobe Creative Suite 4 Production Premium

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Bullet time in AE
by on Dec 1, 2009 at 10:22:38 pm

At the moment, I only have two. You should see Shane Ross on the Final Cut Pro forum -- he has dozens.

I hasten to add that Shane also really knows what he's doing. Me? The jury's still out.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Bullet time in AE
by on Dec 1, 2009 at 10:54:46 pm

Dave, I know it's off-topic, but I'd like to nominate Don't Use AE to Compress h.264 as Stock Answer #3.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeStraying Just a Bit Off Topic
by on Dec 1, 2009 at 11:24:03 pm

Yes, I think you make a good point.

Using AE to compress all your hard work in a comp is a LOT like using a dull knife to chop herbs: you end up bludgeoning the poor things, and it's a common yet unfortunate practice.

Don't use AE for compression -- Stock Answer #3. Thanks, Walter.

Upon reflection, there's also a candidate for Stock Answer #4 -- the three most common causes for bad AE renders. A hint: Stock Answer #1 is among them.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Bullet time in AE
by on Dec 1, 2009 at 9:04:11 pm

there's a few kind of bullet times.
-Positional types
1. all cgi
2. many cameras circling a green screen then pictures brought into Poser and interpolated into video.
3. an object as still as possible being photographed from different angles, either being rotated or camera rotating around it in AE.

-Speed types
combined timestretched footage either whole frame or interpolated new frames

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Bullet time in AE
by on Dec 1, 2009 at 9:17:32 pm

Can you string the images together into a sequence, add the footage before and after the bullet-time sequence, then render a clip and post it here?

Otherwise, we'll all be speculating.

Return to posts index

Mari LopesRe: Bullet time in AE
by on Dec 2, 2009 at 12:39:46 pm

Hey Guys,

Thanks so much for your answers. I believe I was a bit vague and obviously it's difficult for you to help me. Will put something together and get back here with more specific questions.

Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]