ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

rendering .h264 from AE CS4

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Isabella La Roccarendering .h264 from AE CS4
by on Dec 1, 2009 at 4:06:04 pm

forgive me if this has already been posted; i did a search and didn't come up with anything.

can anyone tell me what all the settings mean? I am very frustrated with them and can't seem to get the quality/file size balance I'd like. I get a small file, but the quality is not very good.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: rendering .h264 from AE CS4
by on Dec 1, 2009 at 5:27:44 pm

Don't use AE to create H.264 files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, etc. In particular, AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature in improving H.264 image quality.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different compression application to make it into an H.264. Popular compression applications are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundles with Final Cut Suite. Even Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all. I recommend asking a few questions at the COW's Compression Techniques forum.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: rendering .h264 from AE CS4
by on Dec 1, 2009 at 6:33:51 pm

There are links to detailed information about the H.264 codec (and the F4V container format) here.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved