ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

multiprocessing and RAM preview

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Stalker
multiprocessing and RAM preview
on Nov 30, 2009 at 10:11:47 pm

In CS4, with Multiprocessing turned on, I'm experiencing a very long lag before RAM preview frames load up. I would expect this the first time after launch, allowing for background threads to start up. I get this behavior, however, for each RAM preview I attempt. I've tried many combinations of memory allocation (more/less for AE, more/less cores etc.), but the problem does not go away. It feels like AE is re-launching background threads each time, although my task manager indicates that once the background processes are initiated, they don't terminate.

Any thoughts?

Matt

AE CS4
Windows 7 x64
12gb RAM

Matt Stalker
Center City Film & Video
mstalker@ccfv.com

Return to posts index

Richie Tovell
Re: multiprocessing and RAM preview
on Dec 1, 2009 at 2:16:00 am

I wonder if you're maxing out your page file?

Your page file should be set to 3 times the overall amount of ram you have installed, my page file usage tends to hover around 10 gig, this might not be what's going wrong for you but I think it's commonly overlooked.

Coda - musical selections; in film, the ending or last section of a film (often wordless).

Return to posts index

Steve Blacker
on Dec 1, 2009 at 3:14:04 am

We experience the same problem at work on our Mac Pros (8 cores and 16GB RAM). When doing a lot of RAM previewing I just switch to single processor, then turn on Multi processing for rendering. It is weird. I have a colleague whose Mac (similar spec) at home doesn't exhibit the problem, but we I haven't been able to narrow down what the cause might be.

It's only work if you'd rather be doing something else...

Return to posts index

Matt Stalker
on Dec 1, 2009 at 4:12:32 pm

Yes, tweaking the pagefile size is something we've tried, but it has not helped with this particular issue. I have turned off multiprocessing for now, but geez, I'd like the benefit of using it...Any one else found the magic combination of settings that fixes this problem?

Matt Stalker
Center City Film & Video
mstalker@ccfv.com

Return to posts index

Richie Tovell
on Dec 1, 2009 at 5:13:46 pm

Open GL? do you have it on or off? What other background tasks do you have running? Have you removed all the unnecessary tat that boot's on your system at startup?

EDD: just checked MSconfig there's virtually nothing booting at startup, 1 chipset driver and my ATI catalyst that's all, (though this is not advised) I don't use any security features, I manually scan for viruses regularly instead.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/3075/20091201173949.jpg

Or, I would say maybe your operating system has gotten damaged perhaps, could also be a loose stick of ram maybe, you should also re-install AFX, I have no such problems on CS3 here, if you want to do some comparisons I'd be more than happy to load up a similar project on to my system and time the ram previews.

I'm running an i7 3.07 Ghz processor, that gives me 8 threads, 12 gig of ddr3 ram, two HD 4870 Graphics cards and XP pro 64.

The settings I use are straight forward enough, I have 24 gig on the page file, cache folders are left at their defaults, the memory and system preferences are maximum memory usage - %100 maximum ram cache size %60.

I work on 1080p projects with my comp window set to %50 size and resolution, the ram previews are very fast with MP enabled the preview loads at about twice the playback speed, with MP off the previews load at around. just over normal playback speed.

The only other suggestions I can think of would be to watch out which plugins and scripts your using, I use throttle, but I've had bad experiences with plugins like nucleo pro, and if your working with 3D based plugins then you'd expect the processing time to increase by a large amount (obviously).

Coda - musical selections; in film, the ending or last section of a film (often wordless).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]