ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

H64 Codec In After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James BakerH64 Codec In After Effects
by on Nov 29, 2009 at 5:26:52 pm

Hi, I am using AE 7.0 on a Windows XP machine. I am rendering a .mov file with the H.264 codec. All the other codecs in the .mov setting come out fine however the H.264 always comes out noticeably lighter and less contrasted.

Does anyone know if this is an integral part/ mistake in the design of AE or if it is down to something else that can be corrected. There don't seem to any further settings in the codec, other than quality which is on full.

I know I can colour correct it but I would rather have the original quality exactly.

I would be grateful if anyone knows what the case with this is or has any ideas.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: H64 Codec In After Effects
by on Nov 29, 2009 at 5:54:11 pm

Here's Rich Young on the QuickTime H.264 gamma bug.

There are some notes at the bottom of this page of After Effects Help.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

James BakerRe: H64 Codec In After Effects
by on Nov 30, 2009 at 4:22:17 am

Thanks for that.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: H64 Codec In After Effects
by on Nov 30, 2009 at 3:32:17 pm

[James Baker] "I am rendering a .mov file with the H.264 codec."

Bad choice. AE's implementation of H.264 is intended primarily as demo files for clients and such, who need to see a project's progress. It is NOT intended for final delivery. AE is incapable of making multipass H.264's which greatly improves image quality.

Use AE to render in a high-quality codec, then use something else to convert it to H.264.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved