ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Shatter Effect - confused and cant make it work...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eugene ConstableShatter Effect - confused and cant make it work...
by on Nov 29, 2009 at 3:30:55 pm

I need to make a lower third transition onto the screen,by way of a wipe that makes hundreds of little red squares coalesce to form the red rectangle of the lower third. kind of like the text sand particular thing, but using red squares, I have bee trying to do this with the shatter effect.
-I created my red rectangle and nested it in master comp
-I created an animating matte (horizontal feathered wipe from left to right using linear transition effect)
-I apply the shatter effct to red rectangle comp, fiddle the shape setting to make squares etc, but I want the wipe to be driven by my animating gradient layer that is hidden but also in the Master Comp.
- I cannot get the shatter effect to respond to the gradient layer despite having it set to in the effects controls.

Can anyone throw some light on this?, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong...

Or is there a tut I can check out that might help?

Many Thanks,

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Shatter Effect - confused and cant make it work...
by on Nov 29, 2009 at 4:08:43 pm

Perhaps you need to precompose the control layer (the layer with the gradient).

from "Compound effects and control layers":
"The compound effect ignores effects, masks, and transformations of a control layer. To use the results of effects, masks, and transformations on a layer, precompose the layer and use the precomposition layer as the control layer."

Regarding your question about whether there are tutorials for the Shatter effect: Here's an After Effects Community Help search that brings up several, including some here on the COW.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Shatter Effect - confused and cant make it work...
by on Nov 30, 2009 at 1:46:25 pm

When you use a gradient you animate the threshold to control shatter, you are doing that aren't you?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved