ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Footage matte flicker from frame to frame.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob DahlFootage matte flicker from frame to frame.
by on Nov 27, 2009 at 11:36:54 pm

Hi all... Hope everthing is well with you.

This is my problem:

I have footage that causes the following to occur:

I am Color Key (range) keying greenscreen out.
Frame 001 creates a wonderful and usable key for the area of interest.
Frame 002, the key twiches inward in a small area on the shoulder (for example).
Frame 003, the key returns to the usable key for the area (like frame 001).
Frame 004, the key twiches inward in a small area that may be like (frame 002).
Frame 005, the key returns to the usable key for the area.

This cycle continues for the whole shot. This flickering occurs with all of this footage (I assume it was the camera).

The footage is poorly lit and shot. The greenscreen spill is horrific.

How do I remove the flickering of the matte from frame to frame? (I have tried several Flicker removers and it does not do what I want. So Flicker may be the wrong term).

Is there way to blend a matte from frame to frame to reduce this "Flickering" There is not much movement over the whole shot.

Rob Dahl
Transparent Alchemy
Boulder City, NV 89005

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Footage matte flicker from frame to frame.
by on Nov 28, 2009 at 1:35:03 am

I would use a more sophisticated keyer than color key. ex. Keylight, Ultimatte, Primatte. For a poor key, use garbage mattes too.(motion tracked rough masks)
You'll be using multiple keys. Some on the torso, others for hair, hands, etc.

The best deflicker plugin I've seen is Tinderbox 1 deflicker, but if you have a flickering actor, you'll need to fix that anyway.

AE has a few deflicker ways too, but not as tweakable as Tinderbox. There's Auto levels(which I like), and color stabilizer. Another option if you have a pc is,

"a virtualdub plugin processes frames by parts in case of irregular flicker"

You could even roto the flicker out if you really had to, but that would be a lot of work.

As for the greenscreen spill, some keyers simply do a small color correction, like AE's spill suppressor. It's like a secondary color ranger just for desaturating a certain color. You'll want to use matte chokers/masks first so you don't re-color the whole image. And finally, roto may be your only friend.

Good Luck.

Return to posts index

Chris LangRe: Footage matte flicker from frame to frame.
by on Sep 10, 2013 at 5:41:44 pm

Hey Chris, having some similar issues with flicker in foreground of keyed footage. I'm using Final Cut Pro 7 and Red Giant plugin "Primatte Keyer Pro." It appears I have a solid key (black background/white foreground). Here is a link to sample footage --

You can see the flicker problem especially on her hair (lower right edges around shoulders). Wondering if I should try "replacement method" (turning soft color to hard color?) but don't know where to find that in the Promatte plugin. Any other suggestions would be very appreciated!

Chris Lang
Lifestreams Media, Inc. - A non-profit TV/Film Production Company

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved