ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Multiprocessing problem.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richie TovellMultiprocessing problem.
by on Nov 27, 2009 at 6:40:14 pm

After effects is sevearly crippling my sound card.

upon opening AE my sound card is instantly thrown in to fit's of underruns, odly though the sound card is not selected in AE and should not be underrunning at all, the sound card can opperate quite happilly with a buffer setting of just 3 ms, but when opening AE the buffer setting has to be increased to over 30 ms to avoid these underruns, no other apps I've used so far on this system have caused this problem other than AE, however the problem did start when I upgraded this machine to an i7 processor.

A little further investigation revealed that openning AE with multi processing dissabled stopped the audio underuns almost dead.

What is happening here, it's not an audio hardware problem, it seems to be something to do with my CPU, does anyone have any suggestions as to what action to take? or can anyone explain why the multi processing in AE cound be effetion my audio driver so badly?

This is really important for me as I produce music and AV both a lot on this machine.

Any sugestions would be welcome.

Coda - musical selections; in film, the ending or last section of a film (often wordless).

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Multiprocessing problem.
by on Nov 27, 2009 at 6:53:59 pm

[Richie Tovell] "A little further investigation revealed that openning AE with multi processing dissabled stopped the audio underuns almost dead... Any sugestions would be welcome. "

Here's my shot in the dark: it sounds like AE's Multiprocessing is eating up so much RAM that it's adversely affecting other things. Multiprocessing doesn't really get effective until you can allocate 3GB per core. I'll let you do the arithmetic for your machine.

The fixes might include the following:
  • Keep multiprocessing off
  • Get more RAM
  • Reduce the number of cores used by multiprocessing

It's too bad that it's the day after the Thanksgiving holiday here in the States; a lot of people take today off, so replies may be sparse from now until Monday.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Richie TovellRe: Multiprocessing problem.
by on Nov 27, 2009 at 7:04:07 pm

Hey Dave.

I don't ahave a great deal of ram it's true, just 12 gig that was the most I could fit on to this motherboard, the i7 processor has 4 core's and 8 threads, so I'm under on Ram, not much I can do about that.

How do you limit the amount of cores AE can use? if I could do that I'm sure it would help, but I can find no such settings in CS3, would I need a script perhaps?

Coda - musical selections; in film, the ending or last section of a film (often wordless).

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Multiprocessing problem.
by on Nov 27, 2009 at 7:10:07 pm

[Richie Tovell] "I can find no such settings in CS3..."

Oh, You're on AE8. Allocating the number of cores for multiprocessing didn't arrive until AE9. So that option isn't open to you.

I vote for "Leave Multiprocessing Off". The reason: AE launches more instances of itself during multiprocessing. So if you can't allocate enough RAM, you've got all these instances of AE running and using up RAM, but very little RAM for actual work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Nov 27, 2009 at 7:17:29 pm

Damn, well, that's not the end of the world I guess lol, you'd think this super machine of mine would be able to run AE and windows media player both at the same time though . . . an extra gig of ram per core would probably have helped.

I wonder if I can restrict AE some other way perhaps in windows itself, perhaps assigning sepperate threads to the sound card somehow? . .

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Multiprocessing problem.
by on Nov 27, 2009 at 7:17:07 pm

> How do you limit the amount of cores AE can use?

In After Effects CS4, there's a CPUs To Leave For Other Applications preference. See Memory & Multiprocessing preferences.

For After Effects CS3, see the comments from Lloyd and me on this page.

Richie, if you're having trouble finding information on these Help pages, I'd be curious to know how you're searching. It's my job to make sure that people can find the information that they need about After Effects, and I'd really like to know why the materials that we provide aren't working for you. If I search for one of the words in your subject line, 'multiprocessing', I get results that include the pages that I just linked to to answer your question.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 27, 2009 at 7:34:47 pm

Sure, no it's not a problem with your help files, I do read them, I actually have a learning dissablity, it's linked to a head injury I recieved that causes me sevear head pain and makes reading extreemly difficult.

I actually love reading manuals but often I need help to find the most direct solution so I ask questions on the forums here, it's difficult to convey what this conditin is like but sometimes I litraly can't make it to the bottom of a page of text, the text goes out of focus and the pain kicks in.

Thanks for the pointers, I'll give them a look over, seems that restricting the aount of cores isn't that complicated a task.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Multiprocessing problem.
by on Nov 27, 2009 at 7:41:32 pm

> ...but often I need help to find the most direct solution so I ask questions on the forums here...

That's why we have forums.

Thanks for the explanation. It's useful for me to know where to apply my efforts at making things easier to find and use.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 27, 2009 at 7:55:53 pm

No problem, personally I preffer hard copies of manuals, but the AE help files I do read online seem pretty well laid out and cirtainly clear enough, though pehaps using more diagrams on the help pages might help people more, I don't know. The comments sections seem to cut to the chase more also and are a great help.

I changed the preffernces text doc but still no luck, even when I dropped the max number of cores down to just 2 I still got the same underruns.

This shouldn't be happening, my CPU even with multi processing enable and all 4 cores running only just hit's %10.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]