ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

3d room

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dominique urquhart3d room
by on Nov 27, 2009 at 10:34:03 am

hi Ive used a creative cow tutorial to create a 3D room and its a great tutorial, however Im trying to fill the room with objects, curtains on the wall, skirting boards, tables, tv etc. When I put the objects in the room they look great but when i move around the 3d space they are all over the place, ie, the curtains that I thought were hanging on the wall are floating in the middle of the room. Ive used 3d software where you use different view ports to get things to sit in space properly but not sure how to do it in AFX, any clues would be helpful or if someone could point me to a tutorial that would be great. Thanks

Return to posts index

Bob RootRe: 3d room
by on Nov 27, 2009 at 4:56:05 pm

Hi Dominique,

At the bottom of your composition panel there is a button for changing views. Right now it's probably set to Active Camera. You can change it to other preset views or customize your own.

To the right of that button, you can select your view layout to view multiple angels at the same time.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

dominique urquhartRe: 3d room
by on Nov 27, 2009 at 5:38:12 pm

thank you Bob, thats really helpful. Im still having a bit of trouble finding my way around 3d space, things seem to dissapear and even if I move them around in the different view ports are really hard to place. Getting used to it slowly but surely though

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: 3d room
by on Nov 27, 2009 at 5:50:13 pm

Here are a couple of pages that expand on Bob's good advice:

"Adjust a camera view or working 3D view"

"Choose a 3D view"

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: 3d room
by on Nov 27, 2009 at 6:34:19 pm

By the way, when working in 3D, always, always create a camera layer. Don't just make your layers 3D then start moving things around.

But you knew that. :-)

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: 3d room
by on Nov 27, 2009 at 10:06:12 pm

Also use parenting to keep layers linked. IF the curtains should be on a wall, parent them to the wall layer.

Return to posts index

Jeppe RasmussenRe: 3d room
by on Nov 30, 2009 at 4:22:20 pm

Also, when you get the layers set up, remember that if they intersect or touch in 3d space you'll want to set their blend mode to "alpha add". That'll get rid of those annoying artifacts along the edge.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved