ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

yet another post about image resolution between photoshop and ae

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Long
yet another post about image resolution between photoshop and ae
on Nov 26, 2009 at 2:29:34 am

Ok, I swear I've tried to research this topic throughout the forums, even read through this one... http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/946744#946829 thinking it would enlighten me but no such luck...Looking for a little clarification please.

I'm trying to compose an image in Photoshop that consists of several "sheets" (for lack of better term) of images all shot at hi-resolution. The images for the "sheets" will be scaled WAY down and a "sheet" will consist of about 30 scaled down images. That "sheet" will then be replicated and tiled alongside each other across the entire Photoshop canvas. I'll get into why the individual images are brought into PS at hi-resolution in a moment. Anyways, there should be about 25 or 30 "sheets" (all the same) that make up the PS canvas.

Then I want to be able to import that PS image into AE and create a dvd intro with the PS image zooming in and out (actually a camera zooming towards/away from the PS image I think). So, the PS image (and hence the scaled down images within each "sheet") needs to be able to scale back up, and even into 200% and 300% and still look decent (not perfect, but certainly not as awful as they're coming out at my attempts thus far).

Now, when I bring in the digital photos into my PS image (preset of DV 720 x 480, per the info from that previous thread linked above), the images are HUGE compared to the canvas, so I know that if I can get them scaled down without losing the "data" within the image files, that they could be scaled back up and still look great, but that's not happening....as soon as I Free Transform or Scale the layers down, when I zoom back up on them, they're all distorted.

What the hell am I trying to create, much less describe here in detail enough for you to understand? It's here in this dvd intro I saw from another AE user..

I contacted the author and he explained to me as much as he could (without me getting totally lost on him) but advised that he had not kept the .aep file or he would've shared w/ me (mine is for personal use, OBVIOUSLY not in the professional arena here!!!). He advised he made "plates" of a few images in PS then imported the "plates" (what I'm calling "sheets") into AE and tiled them together, zoomed around w/ a camera and so forth.

If you've made it this far into this post, THANK YOU!!! Hopefully I've conveyed what I'm trying to accomplish well enough for someone to point me in the right direction. Again, I'm trying to be able to scale down these large images without losing all the data that makes them up so that I can later scale/zoom back up and still see the images well enough so that when I zoom in towards them and segue into the little video clips that the viewer can make out the specific images.

Thanks again for any help/guidance. I really appreciate it.....

William

Return to posts index

Joe Moya
Re: yet another post about image resolution between photoshop and ae
on Nov 26, 2009 at 2:57:40 am

If you want to scale down the size of the video/pics on a sheet without loosing HD quality, then what you need to do is not scale the size of the pic/video down... but, rather move the camera away from the pic/video. The appearance is of a smaller sized pic/video but no down scaling is done.

Don't scale the pic/video... instead, move a camera away from the pic/video.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Nov 26, 2009 at 3:02:52 am

having an output of 720x480 does not necessarily mean that the picture comps are small too. They could be pre-photoshopped bicubic to huge sizes for huge comps, and the camera is just far away, hence when zooming in 200% they still look good.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

William Long
on Nov 26, 2009 at 4:02:29 am

Gotcha...I'll give that a shot, but to fit as many of the individual images inside the comp size (of say 720 x 480), then the size of the Photoshop canvas is going to be enormous, say about 4272 (width of each image) x 30 (number of images) by 2848 (height of each image) x 30 (number of images), right? I understand your logic...it makes perfect sense...just working w/ a canvas that size in PS and then zooming out the camera about a 3/4 of a mile in AE didn't dawn on me....

Thanks again for your suggestions...I'll try it....William

Return to posts index

Eddie Yepez
on Nov 26, 2009 at 2:32:07 pm

I can't see the video here at the office but if I undestand well you could use the technique Andrew Kramer use in this tutorial:

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/earth_zoom/

You can use different images at different resolutions so you don't loose quality and that way it's easier to handdle the ae file instead of a single huge image.

Hope it helps

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]