ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Effect/POV Help

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan D'SouzaEffect/POV Help
by on Nov 26, 2009 at 2:26:25 am

Hey guys, I need some of your help and advice on how to create a particular effect. So Im creating a short film for my media class and at the beginning of the film I have a POV shot of a person waking up from a deep sleep. To demonstrate the tiredness of the person and the viewpoint, i was trying to figure out how to create a "blinking" effect in which the screen goes black for a few miliseconds as if the person was blinking As well, any other effects that demonstrate that waking up phase, like blurryness or colour changes etc. keep in mind i am pretty new to After Effects so any tutorials or step by steps would be great :)

Return to posts index

Jeff BonanoRe: Effect/POV Help
by on Nov 26, 2009 at 4:03:11 pm

Shouldn't be too difficult for this one. I would just put a black solid over the composition and apply a linear wipe to it. Key frame it so that it wipes down and back up within a frame or two, and feather the edge a bit. If you want to make it more realistic add a bottom lid and maybe if there is a lot of light, add a real slight tint of red to the solid's color. (notice though when you close your eye, your bottom lid only closes the slightest bit, use the top lid for most of the coverage.) Then add motion blur to it and adjust the key frames so that the eyes open and close at different times to your liking.

For the vision blur, you could add an adjustment layer, create a circular mask, invert it, then add fast blur to it. Adjust the mask feather and expansion properties as well as the fast blur properties to match your needs. Then key frame (or add a wiggle expression if you like) to create a random adjustment of the eyes.

There's a lot of different ways to create this effect. You could even play around with the depth of field or brighten up the whites to make it more of a dreamlike look while the eyes are trying to get into focus, but you would just have to play around with what looks good to you at that point.

Good luck!

Jeff Bonano

"I want to have a cool quote at the bottom of my signature, just like everyone else on the cow forum!" -Jeff Bonano

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved