ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

9-scale grid?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Kiersky9-scale grid?
by on Nov 25, 2009 at 4:24:36 pm

Hi all,

Wondering if there is a way to scale something, without affecting the corners, i.e. in flash there is an option to use 9-scale grid. where you can set guides to define parts that don't scale and parts that do. This is very useful for scaling rounded rectangles; you can put the rounded corners in the no-scale parts of the grid, then the middle, which repeats would scale.

The idea is, I have a pre-comp that will have a rounded rectangle, and some text in it, I want to be able to re-use that comp for every instance of my 'rounded text box' but it needs to scale to allow for the text content. currently if I scale the comp, the corners either distort in an un-linked scale, or change radius when the scale is linked.

kinda obscure i know, but maybe someone has an idea to help?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 9-scale grid?
by on Nov 25, 2009 at 5:08:54 pm

Why don't you just cut a mask with rounded corners in AE? You can do it, y'know....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Aaron KierskyRe: 9-scale grid?
by on Nov 25, 2009 at 5:19:30 pm

thanks for the quick reply Dave,
Ive got the rounded rectangle, the problem is, when I scale it non-proportionally (not a mask shape transform) the corners deform into non-circular shapes. in flash, I get two horizontal and two vertical guides that let me define the corners of an object, the corners will not scale, only the parts between the guides.

Also im in ae7, no rounded rectangle masks (I copied one from illustrator).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved