ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

creating track matte

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Collister
creating track matte
on Nov 25, 2009 at 2:50:54 pm

Hi all
I have an animated logo in AE that i want to export for somebody else to use. They need to overlay the logo onto some other footage, and have transparency around the logo, showing the footage beneath. (That make sense? Logo in the middle of the screen, other footage underneath it.)

Am I best simply putting the logo on a black background and letting the other person add it to their composition as an overlay layer of some sort?

Or should i export them track matte footage? Or some footage that they can use as a matte? What would be the best way to get such a render from my composition? Ive had a search but turned up very little.

Any help is much appreciated as ever.

Cheers
Ian

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
Re: creating track matte
on Nov 25, 2009 at 3:20:54 pm

You don't really need a matte, unless the editor requires or prefers it that way. All you really need is to find out their specs requirements (codec, aspect ratio, etc.) and render your comp accordingly using a codec that supports alpha channels (i.e., Animation, PNG, etc. ... the lossless PNG video codec, not a PNG image sequence).

Return to posts index

Ian Collister
on Nov 25, 2009 at 4:07:26 pm

Not sure they will go for the png idea, but thanks all the same, they are using avid and get a bit funny over formats...

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
on Nov 25, 2009 at 7:04:26 pm

Understandable ... I only referred to PNG and Animation as examples of codecs that support alphas ... there are tons of others so just find out which one they want and render to it ... you might even be able to download an Avid codec from their website and render in their native format ... I have a few AVID codecs in my collection, but I don't recall whether I had to buy them or they were free (either as website downloads or shared workflow versions from partners on AVID systems).

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
on Nov 25, 2009 at 10:15:27 pm

You can download the Avid codecs from their site.

http://tinyurl.com/mjymqt

Given that the client is an Avid shop I think that using the Avid codecs would be the best approach. The only reason to render out a separate fill and matte layer is if you're delivering the elements on tape.

Return to posts index

Ian Collister
on Nov 27, 2009 at 10:54:13 am

Cheers all, i will have a look at the avid codecs.

"The only reason to render out a separate fill and matte layer is if you're delivering the elements on tape"

I wont be delivering on tape, but could someone give me an insight as to how to render a matte layer all the same. I have had a google but couldnt find anything.

Cheers
Ian

Return to posts index

Ian Collister
on Nov 27, 2009 at 11:54:03 am

Not to worry, i have found some stuff on the adobe site now.

Thanks all, much appreciated as ever.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]