ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

cartoon effect freezes after rendering

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Kidd
cartoon effect freezes after rendering
on Nov 25, 2009 at 8:29:11 am

when I render a cartoon effect via make movie or pre-comp as soon as the clip appear the first frame moves normally but the following frames freeze, and when the next (non cartoon effect frames come on , everything runs smooth. It happens in preview and after rendering as well, this happens even if I pre-render a 7 second short clip of cartoon. My normal footage is 4 minutes long and contains 4 snippets of cartoon effects of 20 seconds in total. My rendering of the footage is normal except for the cartoon part. Can anyone help please?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: cartoon effect freezes after rendering
on Nov 25, 2009 at 4:11:56 pm

Check the basics:
  • Check if you have enabled Open GL for rendering. If yes, turn it off. It's useless. Do it now.
  • Check your footage. Is it HDV, by any chance? Is it an MPEG or something? How about mp4? Read on:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Richard Kidd
on Nov 26, 2009 at 3:18:32 pm

Thanks Dave
my source footage in AE was WMV codec, so I went back to Vegas and rendered the file in AVI and then imported it in AE. I then disabled OpenGL and the cartoon snippet previewed smoother and didn't freeze. I then pre-comped and rendered in QT. and everything worked fine except a 7 second cartoon snippet took 25 minuted to render. Is there anyway to reduce the render time ? what changes can I make to achieve this? thanks for helping again.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 27, 2009 at 4:58:21 pm

[Richard Kidd] "...a 7 second cartoon snippet took 25 minuted to render..."

Uh-huh. A couple of days ago, I rendered out ten seconds of SD video in about that same amount of time... and I'm on an 8-core Mac Pro. It's no big deal. You take the time the project demands. It's smooth now, right? What do you want, fast 'n crappy or slow 'n good?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Richard Kidd] "Is there anyway to reduce the render time ?"

Can't really say: we know nothing about your hardware, processors, RAM, storage, operating system, other software you're running, the type of footage you use, the complexity of your comps, the effects you've applied, whether you use Fame Blending or Motion Blur or whether you work in 2D or 3D... and 3D opens up an entirely new realm of speed-robbing options.

Just to mention a few variables that affect AE's render times.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]