ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

More Feild Problems

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel SpagnoliMore Feild Problems
by on Nov 24, 2009 at 8:46:24 pm do i Loath fields.

Ok to get things out of the way here is my task.

Received Video (Digi-Beta 29.97i)

Need to take video, put in after effects project, do some graphic overlays to it, put it back to tape for TV broadcast.

The problem is...

There is fine text in the original video, if I deinterlace it in AE, the text becomes hard to read, if i don't deinterlace it I get stuttering/field issues when putting back to tape (even when i export from AE with lower fields).

I'm guessing the problem is the fields from the original video, and from the export/tape render are not in "Sync" But I have no clue how to solve this issue. FCP seems to know how to match fields automatically, but I'm on a deadline and I really don't have time to export these overlays from AE and re-render them again in FCP on top of the video. Any help on how to get the interlacing to "match" in AE would be greatly appreciated, thank you so much~!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: More Feild Problems
by on Nov 24, 2009 at 10:55:59 pm

Here's the way to determine field order:

Look for the section, "Determine the original field order".

It SHOULD be lower field first for 29.97 Digibeta. If the test above reveals it isn't, change it to upper field first.

But even if the field order of the footage is wrong, you should still render lower field first (check your render settings!), or you're just going to pass the problem on to someone else.

It's a good thing you didn't start in TV ten or fifteen years ago. You never would have made it out of the gate -- EVERY piece of video was interlaced.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: More Feild Problems
by on Nov 25, 2009 at 4:10:26 pm

If the original editor rendered progressive text over interlaced video (bad editor! bad editor!), it would be best to request the original video with no text, then re-do the text. If that's not feasible (aw, crap!) you need to preserve the original video by doing this:

1. interpret "no fields"
2. make your new graphics over the video in a comp
3. render with no fields.

This will reproduce the original error (prog graphics over int video), but hey, if it passed approval before, it should pass again.

CAVEAT: I've never tried this, because I've worked with good editors. :-)

If original text and video are both interlaced, I recommend interpreting no fields. Why? Because you're not doing anything to the video itself. Then add the new graphics, and render with fields (upper or lower, according to Dave's post). Test on an interlaced monitor.

Return to posts index

Daniel SpagnoliRe: More Feild Problems
by on Nov 30, 2009 at 10:51:23 pm

Thanks Dave and Steve...

I ended up just exporting my overlays out of AE interlaced with alpha and plopping them on top of the captured video in FCP, it laid back to tape (and air) just fine.

Something was screwy with the fields in the video (or the capture), AE wasn't recognizing it as interlaced and forcing the field separation was causing the glitches on export. I probably could look deeper into it and figure out the true "technical" solution was, but what works, works...right? :) Thanks again for the help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved