ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Noise Removal Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kurt LarsonNoise Removal Question
by on Nov 24, 2009 at 8:25:56 pm

hey guys i have a video question just watch the vid and let me know what you think..

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Noise Removal Question
by on Nov 24, 2009 at 10:41:35 pm

If the two suggestions below don't work, you may have to re-shoot. HDV cameras in general don't do well if the picture is improperly exposed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you've got Open GL enabled, disable it. It does more harm than good.

If you haven't converted that HDV footage to a different codec before you import it into AE, you need to do it. It could be explain why the Remove Grain effect isn't working. Here's why:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kurt LarsonRe: Noise Removal Question
by on Nov 25, 2009 at 9:08:11 pm

ok so what i did was import with sony vegas which gives me a .m2t then i export as an uncompressed .avi... does this count as a different codec?

Return to posts index

by on Nov 25, 2009 at 9:34:50 pm

Yup.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Kurt LarsonRe: Noise Removal Question
by on Nov 25, 2009 at 10:12:52 pm

hmm ok well then i guess i can reshoot.. but for future reference what would you sugest doing for night shots? i know i can turn the shutter speed down but then if theres any motion, it makes it look choppy...

Return to posts index

by on Nov 27, 2009 at 4:42:01 pm

[Kurt Larson] "...for future reference what would you sugest doing for night shots?"

Don't shoot in HDV. Plain 'n simple. HDV uses encoding schemes that demand nicely-exposed shots, avoiding extremes of brightness and darkness.

HDV attempts to shove an HDV picture into the same bit rate as a DV picture... but and HD picture is FIVE TIMES BIGGER than an SD picture. Something's got to give, y'know?

Sorry, but that's the way it is. HDV is a cheap way into High Definition TV, but it simply can't do the same things other HD cameras can do.

An alternative: run an HDMI cable from your camera, thus retaining the non-compromised 1920x1080, great-looking picture, and capturing it direct to ah HD capture card and onto a hard drive, using a codec that actually lends itself to TV post-production.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Noise Removal Question
by on Nov 25, 2009 at 4:05:16 pm

For noise removal, I prefer Innobits Video Purifier, but that's currently Mac-only (though a Windows version is in development).

You might have some luck with Neat Video—I used to use their still-image plugin for Photoshop with good results.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]