ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Earthquake Animation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexander MinasEarthquake Animation
by on Nov 24, 2009 at 5:14:19 pm

Forgive me if someone already posted something similar to this, but I'm co-producing an earthquake preparedness video and I need to create earthquake animation in After Effects. Here is an example of something that we want to recreate:

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can recreate this or can direct me to a tutorial that can help? I'm already familiar with growing (ramp) and scaling in After Effects and I'm working in CS4 and right now I'm researching ideas and experimenting, but it would help if I had something more concrete to follow. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Earthquake Animation
by on Nov 24, 2009 at 9:17:55 pm

that looks just like an animated corner pin.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Alexander MinasRe: Earthquake Animation
by on Nov 24, 2009 at 9:28:19 pm

Ok so I looked around on the web for animated corner pin and it looks like that may require a program like Mocha, is this true? Or is it possible to perform this solely in AE? Forgive me if I seem less than knowledgeable about this; my skills in motion graphics are growing but it's been a slow process.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 24, 2009 at 9:40:26 pm

So I'm a dope. Didn't know Mocha was a part of CS4. I'm going to have to do some experimenting it seems.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 24, 2009 at 10:11:24 pm

it looks pretty simple and you won't need to learn mocha, but you still should ;) Simply take 4 layers of color blobs, and each one gets a distort-corner pin stretch at different speeds/ammounts.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 24, 2009 at 10:14:01 pm

I don't know anything about corner pins, but I'm sure I can learn to pick it up. My job is sending me to training for this soon, but in the meanwhile I have to teach myself a lot. Do you have any web resources where I can learn more about it? Anything will do. Thanks.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 24, 2009 at 10:31:06 pm

Here's the compositing tuts, I recommend the sci-fi ones. They will get you up to speed the quickest.

http://library.creativecow.net/tutorials/adobeaftereffects/compositing

Return to posts index

by on Nov 24, 2009 at 10:34:02 pm

Awesome! Thanks.

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: Earthquake Animation
by on Nov 25, 2009 at 3:24:44 pm

Slight disagreement here, the effect just doesn't look that complicated to me. I only see masks that change shape and are filled with various color solids or gradient patterns that can also be keyframed to grown or change.

Making masks grow is fun and easy and can use intelligent vertices created in AE or paths created in Illustrator or Photoshop.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Earthquake Animation
by on Nov 29, 2009 at 7:19:49 pm

I agree with Bogie. This looks like a few filled masks or shapes (with opacity set somewhat low), with their paths animated, superimposed on the map.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]