ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Precompose Auto-crop?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cassie BrookePrecompose Auto-crop?
by on Nov 24, 2009 at 4:40:18 pm

When I select a several layers and precompose them, I would like the new comp to automatically fit the size of the content I am precomposing rather than the full comp size. Is this possible?

For example, If I have a 100x100 layer within a 720x480 comp and I select the 100x100 layer and precompose it, it creates a 720x480 comp instead of a 100x100 comp. I know I can change the comp size manualy, but I'm looks for a more automated solution. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Precompose Auto-crop?
by on Nov 29, 2009 at 7:29:16 pm

If you're precomposing multiple layers, the precomposition will have the dimensions of the original composition. If you're precomposing only one layer, you can choose whether to use the dimensions of thelayer or the composition.

If you'd like to have more options, I suggest making a feature request.

Here's a description of precomposition options from "Precompose layers":

Leave All Attributes In

Leaves the properties and keyframes of the precomposed layer in the original composition, applied to the new layer that represents the precomposition. The frame size of the new composition is the same as the size of the selected layer. This option is not available when you select more than one layer, a text layer, or a shape layer.

Move All Attributes Into The New Composition

Moves the properties and keyframes of the precomposed layers one level further from the root composition in the composition hierarchy. When you use this option, changes you applied to the properties of the layers remain with the individual layers within the precomposition. The frame size of the new composition is the same as the frame size of the original composition.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved