ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Isolating a particular color

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin JordanIsolating a particular color
by on Nov 24, 2009 at 3:42:36 am

Watch this trailer first:

Not sure if this is a AE or FCP forum question...BUT...

As you watched this trailer there are some shots that had sepia backgrounds and the talent had a similar look but the red cape he was wearing was isolated and punched up.

I'm going to be shooting a similar segment and haven't done this look before. I want to achieve this same dramatic look and will be shooting talent green screened and creating a similar wicked background scene for the background.

My question is:
• How to achieve this type of talent look. I mean...the washed out flesh tones but being able to punch up the red cape. I hope I'm describing this right. But the sepias, dark blacks, contrats etc. I know how to do but to make one particular color stand out in video I'm unsure how to do it. If this was Photoshop and a still photo this would be no problem.

• We have a a lot of FCP & AE plug ins one of which is Core Melt V2 and the one effect is C2 Pigment - Pass Color. But I'm having trouble achieving the look I'm describing. Others we have are DFx Filters by Tiffen, FxFactory Pro.

I'm looking for advice on:
1) Maybe some tips on how to shoot this type of effect to make it easier to edit in Post (FCP 7)

2) A certain plugin that gives me the control of isolating color to get this look.

Many thanks ahead of time.

Quad-Core, 2.93GHz, OS 10.6.2, 32GB Ram, 4TB RAID 5 Internal, RAID Card, ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB, 4TB External Raid, FCP Studio 7, AE 9.0.2, Squeeze for the Web, MacBook Pro (MBP) 2.6 GHz, Dual Core, 10.5.7, Panasonic HPX300 Camera.
The entire Adobe Creative Suite 4, Design Premium.
Owner of Full Graphics Design Firm Houston, Tx 19 yrs.
Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Ed BlackfordRe: Isolating a particular color
by on Nov 24, 2009 at 4:16:56 am

Check out this quick tip on Leave Color.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Isolating a particular color
by on Nov 24, 2009 at 4:38:45 am

You might also want to try the Change To Color effect.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved