ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Problems importing DPX sequence into CS3

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Liam HarrisonProblems importing DPX sequence into CS3
by on Nov 24, 2009 at 12:03:49 am

Hey everyone,

just had some super 8mm footage scanned and delivered to me on DPX. I had a sample kodak DPX file and it imported into AE CS3 fine, but when I import my super 8 footage I get "After Effects error: reading from file "filename"- unexpected end of file (-39)." A friend had troubles importing it into shake and nuke as well, but I was able to actually see it by getting the gluetools demo for FCP. I'd really like to work in AE and not spend $800 on glue tools. So any info anyone has would be really great.

here is a sample file, let me know if it worked easily for you so that I can go cry in a corner:

http://www.liamliamliam.com/dpx/Harrison_7520_S8_DPX_1080_0000492.dpx

thanks,

Liam

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Problems importing DPX sequence into CS3
by on Nov 24, 2009 at 2:40:55 am

I just got an error when I tried to import that file into After Effects CS4. And Photoshop CS4.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Liam HarrisonRe: Problems importing DPX sequence into CS3
by on Nov 24, 2009 at 2:50:09 am

thanks for trying it Todd,

I can open the image sequence fine in quicktime now that I have downloaded the gluetools FCP plugin. But its a demo and I really want to work with the footage in after effects as I am better versed in it. Any suggestions as to other things to try or look up?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Problems importing DPX sequence into CS3
by on Nov 24, 2009 at 4:00:51 am

> Any suggestions as to other things to try or look up?

Nothing comes to mind.

FWIW, I use DPX files a lot in After Effects, and we added support for even more varieties in the After Effects CS4 (9.0.2) update. I just couldn't open yours.

If I were in your position, I'd ask the people who scanned your film and exported the DPX files whether they knew of any settings or characterstics of the DPX files that could be causing your problems.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 24, 2009 at 3:04:05 pm

thanks Todd for your help. I will contact them today.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 25, 2009 at 12:24:52 am

hey Todd,

got this response from the film scanner,

"The DPX files are intermediate scanner files intended for being used in a professional dust busting tool (like Diamant, Film Fix, Moving Image Retoucher or Autodesk tools). They are not generally usable in a non-linear editor."

so I guess thats the end of that. bummer.

thanks again for all your help.

Liam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]