ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Stroke on Masked object

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
phil swansonStroke on Masked object
by on Nov 23, 2009 at 8:52:44 pm

Im trying to animate a stroke to reveal a bunch of vector graphics i received. These are circles, swirls, different line drawings all from illustrator. I need to add these to AE and do a 3d camera move on the vector graphics while they animate on using the stroke effect. Here is my problem

When adding the stroke effect to these vector graphics i can animate the stroke on very easily. But once i make them continuously rasterize and try and scale or move the object in z space closer to the camera the stroke no longer fills the vector object, the stroke gets smaller if i move the vector graphic towards the camera or bigger if i move the graphic farther away from the camera. I have also tried using the vector paint tool to paint the object in real time to fill the vector graphic, but same thing. Once i make these PRECOMPS or AI layers continuously rasterize they can no longer be scaled or moved around in a 3d fashion without screwing up the stroke that i have filling the vector graphic.

ANY THOUGHTS?

thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Stroke on Masked object
by on Nov 23, 2009 at 10:37:26 pm

You might have to animate a mask on those layers. I don't know if this trick will work on vector layers, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to try it on a single, simple layer.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

phil swansonRe: Stroke on Masked object
by on Nov 23, 2009 at 10:49:45 pm

thanks for the input, i figured out a workaround.

Bring in the vector graphic, Make a new solid for your stroke mask. Use the stroke filter and animate your end point so it animates on and will be thick enough to fill out your vector graphic lines, then use that solid as an alpha matte, parent it to your vector graphic and then you can continuously rasterize, and scale, move towards camera, rotate in z space or anything else. I think it was an issue with the continuous rasterizing of the vector graphic. The way it was looking at the stroke filter was wonky.

thanks
phil

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Stroke on Masked object
by on Nov 23, 2009 at 11:23:04 pm

[phil swanson] "The way it was looking at the stroke filter was wonky. "

No really. Stroke is a bitmap effect. When you applied it to the vector layer, then started scaling and moving in 3D, that bitmapped stuff just popped right out.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]