ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Layer selection for overlapping layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cassie Brooke
Layer selection for overlapping layers
on Nov 23, 2009 at 7:11:06 pm

Is there a way to select "through" the transparent pixels of an AE layer? I have a comp with ~80 layers and since AE turns each layer into a rectangular shape, I often end up selecting the transparent corner of one layer when I'm really trying to select the content underneath.

I'd like to be able to select just like in Photoshop - ignoring the layer shape and just selecting based on the content. Can anyone help me with this?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Layer selection for overlapping layers
on Nov 23, 2009 at 7:25:32 pm

Find the name of the layer in question in the timeline window. Highlight it. It's selected. Works first time, every time.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Cassie Brooke
on Nov 23, 2009 at 7:39:32 pm

Hey Dave, thanks for the response. I am actually looking to select my layers on the stage rather than the timeline. Since I have so many layers it's faster for me to select a layer visually through the stage than to find it in the timeline list of layers.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 23, 2009 at 10:02:59 pm

Yeah, it's a pain that AE oftentimes doesn't work like Photoshop, but these two applications weren't exactly joined at the hip from birth.

Photoshop was developed by Adobe. The original code for After Effects was written by the Company of Science and Art: CoSA. Then Adobe bought it.

Two different companies... two different ways of tackling a problem.... and legacy code that never got changed.... or perhaps COULDN'T get changed without screwing up eight other things.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paul Conigliaro
on Nov 23, 2009 at 8:18:36 pm

What Dave said, but you can also right click on the Composition window and go to the "Select" submenu. This will only show layers directly under your mouse.

Actually, that won't help much more than just going to your timeline view like Dave said.

Adobe CS3, Apple FCS2
[Disclaimer: Sometimes I am an idiot and misinterpret people's posts. I'm sorry.]

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Nov 23, 2009 at 9:21:55 pm

when working, it's helpful to lock all the layers you're done tweaking with, and even hiding them. A lot less undo's.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]