ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Synchronize with movement

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laurent Crivello
Synchronize with movement
on Nov 23, 2009 at 12:22:38 pm

Dear all,

I have filmed a friend who kills (fake kill !) someone else and the camera is moving and turning arount the scene.
I have added a bloot splatter on the ground but would like to know what is the best technique to have this splatter following the camera movement, i.e. that we have the impression that it stays at the same position on the ground.

Thanks a lot !

Laurent

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Synchronize with movement
on Nov 23, 2009 at 4:25:01 pm

[Laurent Crivello] "I have added a blood splatter on the ground but would like to know what is the best technique to have this splatter following the camera movement, i.e. that we have the impression that it stays at the same position on the ground. "

You're going to need a 3D Matchmove application like Syntheyes to analyze the camera's motion in the video. The analysis data gets applied to an AE 3D camera, and then you position the splatter in 3D space.

You'll probably have to do some rotoscoping work on a duplicated movie layer for those sections of the shot where something in the foreground hides the splatter.

Something like this is a LOT easier as a practical effect.

Dave's Stock Answer #2:

When you're out on a shoot, and you say, "we'll fix this in post" without knowing PRECISELY HOW you're going to fix it in post, don't shoot it! You'll only end up shooting it over again.

Since post typically costs three times the cost of production, fixing something in post is not a way to save money, but rather a way to spend more of it.

And, before you say "well fix it in post," always consider who's doing the work, especially if you're the one doing the editing.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Laurent Crivello
Re: Synchronize with movement
on Nov 24, 2009 at 12:11:36 pm

Thanks for your assistance Dave, I just ordered a trial version of Syntheyes.
Wait and See !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]