ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Animated outline/stroke

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael BrookesAnimated outline/stroke
by on Nov 22, 2009 at 11:05:54 pm

I am trying to create an animation with multiple layers, with each underlying layer having a thicker stroke around the outline of the animation. I want these outlines to be very very thick, and ideally expand so that they reach the edge of the screen, in a looping animation style.

The way I have gone about this is to apply a matte choker to the layers, and scale the choke/iterations until I have the sort of outline I want.
However, this is massively render intensive and just getting it to process to view in AE takes about a minute. To render it would take about a week!

Is there a better way of doing this? It doesn't seem such a complicated effect to do.

many thanks

Return to posts index

Raymond TuqueroRe: Animated outline/stroke
by on Nov 23, 2009 at 6:36:41 am

Have you tried creating lines with you pen tool and then generating a stroke?

Also ... I would recommend previewing you animation in a low res format to make sure it is moving the way you want. Then when you are happy and ready to export ... there a few tips to help with the export render time.
My Fav tip ... Hit Caps Lock ON and purge your memory ... I have noticed between 1% - 5% increase in Render times and less waiting for the render ... hey 1-5% can be a big number when your talking about hours of rendering.

Good Luck.

-Raymond Tuquero-
Houston Based Freelancer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved