ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE Plugins

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Donovan WertsAE Plugins
by on Nov 22, 2009 at 4:13:54 pm

Hi, I'm thinking about upgrading from AE CS3 to CS4. Do plug-ins and presets remain when you upgrade? I'm wondering if CS4 will access the preset and plug in folders that CS3 is currently using (and not delete things during installation).

Thanks in advance, Donovan

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: AE Plugins
by on Nov 22, 2009 at 4:50:09 pm

Most plug-ins are compatible from one version to the other, as are virtually all animation presets.

As you can probably imagine, I have several versions of After Effects installed on each of several computers, and I have not had problems with an installation of a new version messing with the installed plug-ins or animation presets for a previous version.

In most cases, you can copy plug-ins from the Plug-ins folder for one version to the Plug-ins folder of the new version; however, there are some third-party plug-ins that have their own quirky licensing and installation issues, and you may have to re-install to have those plug-ins show up in the new version.

I'm sure that folks on this forum can help you out if you run into specific problems.

See "Plug-ins" and animation presets for more information.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Donovan WertsRe: AE Plugins
by on Nov 22, 2009 at 5:28:48 pm

Todd, thank you very much for the information! Donovan

Return to posts index

Joe MoyaRe: AE Plugins
by on Nov 22, 2009 at 5:52:50 pm

A side note of interest... according to recent information from Adobe, if your intention of upgrading any (or purchase new) plug-ins for CS4... the current intention by Adobe is to no longer support 32bit plug-ins and only support 64bit.

If you plan to make a significant investment into CS4 (and its plug-ins) and have past investments in plug-ins that are 32bit based (which is pretty much all plug-ins that exist today)... you might be aware that future versions of Adobe software will not support these 32bit plug-ins. Chances are you will need to make future futher purchases/re-purchases of 64 bit versions of plug-ins not made by by Adobe.

On that note, you might consider the option of switching to a different compositing software all together or at least be prepared to spend on a 64 bit (only) upgrading of plug-ins once you have commited to CS4 with the intent of upgrading to CS5 in the future.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: AE Plugins
by on Nov 22, 2009 at 6:06:26 pm

To be clear, what Adobe has announced is that the next major version of After Effects will be a 64-bit application.

I'd be careful about jumping to conclusions about what this means for plug-ins.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 22, 2009 at 6:22:18 pm

Well, I realize that I'm going to need to purchase a 64 bit system to get the most out of CS4. Sure hope the plugins work :)

Return to posts index

by on Nov 23, 2009 at 12:32:16 am

Unless the original developer of the plug-ins provide free (or charge for) upgrades for 32 bit plug-ins... they will not work in a 64 bit only CS5 version of Adobe software.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 23, 2009 at 12:45:24 am

Wow! I am really dissapointed to hear all this. I figured I'd find out that it would be no problem. Now I have to rethink upgrading my CS3 Production Suite and purchasing a 64 bit system. It's not that I have that many plug-ins, but I bet A LOT of people will be very frustrated if they spend the money to upgrade If this is indeed the case.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 23, 2009 at 12:49:07 am

I understand your concern... Stefan Minning over at minning.de does a good job explaining this 32 bit vs. 64 bit plug-in issue.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 23, 2009 at 12:45:55 am

The only way to not jump to any conclusion is for CS5 to support 32bit...

Other than that... whether the 32 bit plug-ins will work depends upon how the third party plug-in providers decide to adapt there current 32 bit plug-ins for CS5's intended 64 bit ONLY application.

The third party providers of older 32 bit may adapt to 64bit or they may not... it may be a free upgrade or it may cost as an upgrade or priced at a higher new plug-in price. Anyone can draw there own conclusion as to how third party creators of plug-in will adapt to the 64 bit only CS5. However, the only way to say for certain that a 32 vs. 64 bit plug-in conflict will not be an issue is for Adobe to include 32 bit compatibility to it's CS5. And...unless that happens... then additional potential costs should be concidered when buying or upgrading to CS4 and/or CS5.

If I am incorrect on this point... please elaborate.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]