ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Text Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mark almondText Question
by on Nov 22, 2009 at 2:24:33 am

Hi All

I have two pecies of text on my screen and I want to move pone peice of it off the screen but when I start to move it of the screen the other peice of text goes the other way which I don't want, I just want the second peice to stay where it is, how can I stop it from doing this?

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Mark

Return to posts index

Charles FerranRe: Text Question
by on Nov 22, 2009 at 3:21:45 am

Do you have both pieces of text in the same layer? if so, you need to delete one piece of text and create a new text layer, then type your second text in there. then you will be independently moving two pieces of text.

Sorry if this is a little obvious but your question was pretty broad and I don't know what your skill level is.

Return to posts index

mark almondRe: Text Question
by on Nov 22, 2009 at 11:50:44 am

Yeah both peices of text are on their own layers.When I drag one peice of the text towards the left of the screen, the other peice of text moves in the opposite direction unless this is the screen moving, I'm a newbie to after effects.

Thanks

Mark

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Text Question
by on Nov 22, 2009 at 3:14:11 pm

How did you create the text layers? With a preset? If so, there is probably an expression that is part of the preset that is causing that to happen ... check the layers in the timeline for expressions and/or keyframes. Since you are somewhat new to AE and may be unfamiliar with editing expressions, your best option will probably be to recreate the text layers without using the preset/expression.

Or, if that will mean losing some aspect of the text that you want to retain, you might be able to duplicate the layers and mask out the portions you don't want to see on each duplicate ... in other words, the pieces of text would still move relative to each other due to the expression, but you won't see the parts that are masked.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 22, 2009 at 3:30:47 pm

I created the text layers with the text tool in After Effects

Attached is a screen shot of my project if this helps.

Thanks

Mark

Return to posts index

by on Nov 22, 2009 at 3:59:17 pm

I've also added a screen recording to give you an idea of what what is happening

Thanks
Mark

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Text Question
by on Nov 22, 2009 at 7:07:18 pm

Especially since it doesn't happen the first couple of times you move the text, it looks like the "maja-media.co.uk" text layer is not actually moving ... rather, that the comp window is just adjusting to the left when the other text is moved beyond the viewable area of the comp window, which can give the appearance that the "maja-media.co.uk" text is moving.

Try setting your comp viewer to a size that will allow you to move the text to where you want it without pulling it out of the viewable area. To confirm whether it is actually moving, you might also set a temporary position keyframe for the "maja-media.co.uk" text layer, lock it, move the other text, then check whetehr there is any change in the "maja-media.co.uk" layer position.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]