ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Tiling Vector Art (with RepeTile)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Devin HuntTiling Vector Art (with RepeTile)
by on Nov 21, 2009 at 7:55:16 pm

Hello all, I hope one of you can help me out.

I'm working on a composition in which the camera 'zooms' into a large tiled grid of the same object. At the moment, I have one composition (let's call it CompA) which contains animated vector art. Just some simple transformations.

I then place this into a the final comp (CompB) and place a CC RepeTile effect on it. I adjust the effect to fill the screen with CompAs. I then create 'zooming' animation (just increasing scale over time) into the center object.

Problem is, when I turn on Continually Raster for the CompA layer, the tiling effect turns off, just leaving me with one object. The amount I'm scaling CompA is extreme, which is why I'm using vector art.

How can I get Continually Raster-ed vector art and CC RepeTile to work with each other?

Thanks in advance!

Devin Hunt
Field Union

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Tiling Vector Art (with RepeTile)
by on Nov 22, 2009 at 4:41:06 pm

from "Render order and collapsing transformations"
"Within each raster (non-vector) layer, elements are applied in the following order: masks, effects, transformations, and layer styles. For continuously rasterized vector layers, transformations occur before masks and effects."

If I understand you scenario correctly, then you can achieve what you want by precomposing the layer with the effect on it and then transform (scale) the precomposition layer. Precomposing and nesting is very often the solution to such things.

For information on nesting and precomposing, see this section of AFter Effects Help.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved