ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Multiple 3D Cameras

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel HashimotoMultiple 3D Cameras
by on Nov 20, 2009 at 11:59:55 pm

Here's a fun one.

I'm trying to do some stereoscopic work. I've done this successfully within a 3D comp using two cameras, duplicating the composition with the "Right Eye" enabled in one composition, and the "Left Eye" cam enabled in the other. Then in a third composition I use the 3D glasses filter to combine them to work with anaglyph glasses.

What I'd like to do is create just ONE composition with two cameras, let's say "CompA". Then in another composition bring in "CompA" twice, using an expression or script that forces one copy of CompA to use it's native camera 1, and a duplicate the layer again to use it's native camera 2.

This would make it easier to do tweaks to just one composition instead of duplicating it every time I make a change.

Anyone have suggestions?

Return to posts index

Chris ButtacoliRe: Multiple 3D Cameras
by on Nov 22, 2009 at 5:56:44 pm

The way I see it you need four Comps.

Comp 1: Master Set
Comp 2: Precomp of Master Set with Left Eye camera
Comp 3: Precomp of Master Set with Right Eye camera
Comp 4: Render Comp with Left and Right Comps combined

Then all your tweeks are done in comp 1 and everything else updates accordingly.

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: Ignore me...
by on Nov 22, 2009 at 6:59:49 pm

I have only attempted to output stereoscopic movies from AE once.
I created a stereo camera rig that emulated a realworld stereo rig: left and right cameras hard-parented to a null. I moved the null through the scene and ran two renders. The interocular was adjustable but I left it alone. The scene was only about ten seconds and had several 3D layers for the camera rig to fly past. Flat lighting to keep it simple.
I brought the two movies back into AE and used the anaglyph filter for post processing. Holding reddish and blueish lighting gels over my glasses was interesting and it convinced me stereoscopic filmmaking was something I would gladly to leave to others.

Return to posts index

Daniel HashimotoRe: Multiple 3D Cameras
by on Nov 23, 2009 at 6:28:25 pm

Thank you, Chris. I ended up setting up something pretty similar to this. The precomps for the left and right camera are parented to the camera in my original comp, so I can use the original comp to do camera animations.

Sadly, the trapcode plugins don't precompose correctly, but the overall project works well for doing all your work in one comp.

- Hashi

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved