ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Best output / compression settings for After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Judie Luszcz
Best output / compression settings for After Effects
on Nov 19, 2009 at 10:34:31 pm

Anyone know of a resource for render / compression settings out of After Effects? I'm looking for more info on keyframing and data rate limits, specifically the best output settings for Animation, DV, H.264, the whole output drop-down list. I'm really hoping for chart form for an easy read. Suggestions?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Best output / compression settings for After Effects
on Nov 19, 2009 at 10:58:51 pm

[Judie Luszcz] "...I'm really hoping for chart form for an easy read. Suggestions?"

Sorry, but don't hold your breath.

AE is such a flexible application that it's extremely difficult -- if not downright impossible -- to produce such a chart. It really does come down to what you're expected to deliver to the next person who will use your work.

The chart for a guy who works for a film company would look VERY different from a guy's chart who works for a web developer, and the chart of a lady who works in corporate video would look a lot different from a motion graphics designer's chart.... and so on, and so on.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 19, 2009 at 11:47:59 pm

Like Dave said, there is no "best" compression setting. Your compression settings will be determined by your delivery requirements.

With that in mind, AE has many strengths, but compression is not among them. It is not capable of multi-pass encoding, which is critical for quality output with highly-compressed, variable bit-rate encodes. I tend to render to lossless image sequences or lossless Animation in AE, and then use a third-party compression utility. There are many contenders here: Compressor, Episode, Squeeze, ProCoder, etc.

Walter Soyka, Principal
Keen Live, Inc.
Presentation, Motion Graphics & Widescreen Design
RenderBreak: A Blog on Innovation in Production

Return to posts index

Juan A. Ibarra Peinado
on Nov 20, 2009 at 8:19:57 am

May the only one "universal best compression" is "AVI or QT uncompressed" ^^

CÁMERA: JVC GYHD251+BR-HD100
VTR: JVC BR-HD50
CAPTURE PLAYBACK: BLACKMAGIC MULTIBRIDGE PRO
COMPUTER: I7

Return to posts index

Kurt Larson
on Nov 20, 2009 at 3:40:05 am

heres a nice little article i know of that goes a little in depth of each compression. hope this helps

http://ae.tutsplus.com/articles/in-depth/the-after-effects-output-module-ex...

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Nov 21, 2009 at 12:55:32 am

Actually, that article has quite a few problems.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Nov 20, 2009 at 2:22:25 pm

Animation: try just below 100%.
DV: I thought there were no choices ...?
Photo-JPEG: move the slider off 100% -- it usually stops aroun 89-91%.
TGA: leave it alone.

As for anything else like H.264, the other gents are right: don't use AE. AE is good for rendering to high-quality, then you use something like Sorenson or Compressor to do the 2-pass encoding.

Speaking of which, compression is considered an art, and if you want to learn more, look on the Compression techniques COW.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]