ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Generating a Stereoscopic Spherical Projection

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel GrangeGenerating a Stereoscopic Spherical Projection
by on Nov 19, 2009 at 4:25:23 pm

I am working on a project in LA to produce contents for an exhibit. We purchased a Vision Station from Elumens a few years ago but that company no longer exist and I need to produce the content for it. This station is a half dome with a fish-eye projector on which you can give am immersive feel to your projection. The challenge here is that my content is not something I am doing from scratch like rendering it out of a 3d software. It is live action HD footage. I need help to find out how to change the footage so that when it is projected onto the screen it is not distorted. Probably through AE. Has someone done something similar before and can give a pointer? Thanks in advance.

Joel

Return to posts index

Ryan HillRe: Generating a Stereoscopic Spherical Projection
by on Nov 19, 2009 at 10:41:41 pm

I had to look up what a Vision Station is, so I can't give you a definitive answer.

This is what I read, if it's worth anything:
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/elumens2.htm

It's not promising, since it only talked about producing footage for it using a rendering engine. And that methodology required rendering four versions and recombining it.

My first thought would be to shoot with a fisheye lens and test that out, but I worry if it was that simple, they would just render the 3D with a simulated fisheye lens instead of that setup with 4 renders.

Return to posts index

Joel GrangeRe: Generating a Stereoscopic Spherical Projection
by on Nov 20, 2009 at 12:08:16 am

Thanks Ryan. Yeah. I have since figured that there was actually no way to take my existing footage and make it into a stereoscopic projection. I can fake it and get something that is going to work on the Vision station using the "Optic Compensation" filter in After Effects. This way I will create a distortion that will be invertly corrected when projected with the Vision Station fishlense. I know about the render with 4 cameras and the stitching. I have used this for other content for the same station and it works great. However in this case, I have existing footage I need to use. I think that the above might be a solution to fake it and will be the closest I will get to it. Unless someone else has another solution.

Joel

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Generating a Stereoscopic Spherical Projection
by on Nov 21, 2009 at 10:40:36 pm

Mocha has an extremely sophisticated pincushion matching lens distortion mesh. Watch a tutorial on it and get perfect results!

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Joel GrangeRe: Generating a Stereoscopic Spherical Projection
by on Nov 22, 2009 at 2:19:46 am

Thanks very much. This helps. I had no idea.

Joel

Return to posts index

gianfranco di giustoRe: Generate a stereoscopic projection spherical
by on Jun 7, 2010 at 8:07:38 pm

Also you can put out with your rendering engine with a spherical or simulated fish eye, You need to know the size of your lens (in mm), Easily you can do that in v-ray, But if you use mental ray, I have no idea on the parameters.
Any Way You Have Probably Already figured it out.
Hello Thurs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]