ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Motion tile for a imported stabilized video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andy bayMotion tile for a imported stabilized video
by on Nov 19, 2009 at 2:57:36 pm

Hi!

I'm currently doing a lot of stabilizing with syntheyes. I would like to import the stabilized video from syntheyes to AE and use the motion tile effect to fix some of the black borders that result from the stabilization. The clips exported from syntheyes do have an alpha channel, but if I put the motion tile effect on them, the effect will not start from the edge of the visible video but rather from the edge of the whole frame. In other words, it's tiling the video so that also the alpha areas around the edges are included, leaving transparent holes between the edge.

Do you have any tips on solving this? How could I apply the motion tile effect to my video file so that it tiles only the part without alpha, and not the transparent edges. Do I need to track the video again in after effects and do some parenting, or is there a smarter way to attach motion tile right to the edge of my visible video?

Return to posts index

Jeremy AllenRe: Motion tile for a imported stabilized video
by on Nov 19, 2009 at 3:09:49 pm

It may help if you mask out the alpha edges... And you may need to precompose the masked version also.

---------------------------------------------
8core MacPro, 3.0 GHZ, 10GB RAM, OSX 10.5.6

AE CS3
FCP 6.0.1

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Motion tile for a imported stabilized video
by on Nov 19, 2009 at 3:25:28 pm

I'd be interested in knowing how you envision the image looking if you do get Motion Tile to reinvent missing portions of the picture.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

andy bayRe: Motion tile for a imported stabilized video
by on Nov 19, 2009 at 3:39:18 pm

Dave, it is a common technique used by many after stabilizing motion. I think I originally picked it up from a tutorial, maybe by Andrew Kramer. The image is basically mirrored side by side so that you don't need to scale the footage up so much to compensate for the black edges left by the stabilization process. It sure does not work in many situations, especially if there is a lot of distinct detail in the image, but for for footage of sky for example it works great. Basically it's just to avoid having to scale the image up so much to compensate for the stabilization.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 19, 2009 at 10:52:29 pm

I hope it works for you! Good Luck!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Nov 19, 2009 at 11:14:24 pm

Am I sensing a little bit of sceptisism? :)

I am familiar with the technique and I use it on a frequent basis in my work. The problem is only that the footage is not stabilized in AE but in another program, so the motion tile is not correctly picking up the boundaries of the footage.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get motion tile to attach to the actual video instead of the whole frame including the transparent edges?

Return to posts index

by on Nov 20, 2009 at 4:30:30 pm

[andy bay] "Am I sensing a little bit of sceptisism?"

Yup. Any time you have to rely on an automated way to invent images, you're at the mercy of the automation, and you can figure things just aren't going to look right. But here's a thought:

Go look up Carl Larson's AE Podcast about making swish pans. Click on his head at the top of the AE forum page to get there faster. Use his methods to build a really big picture -- it isn't unlike Kramer's I bet.

Once you've built that Really Big Picture, THEN stabilize it.

Or here's another thing to try: get Instant HD from Red Giant software. It's intended to make SD video look better in HD. Scale up your stabilized shot until you lose the borders, and apply Instant HD.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Nov 20, 2009 at 5:19:14 pm

Thanks Dave, that is a good enough solution for my problem!

Return to posts index

Chris ButtacoliRe: Motion tile for a imported stabilized video
by on Nov 20, 2009 at 7:12:23 pm

I've never used Syntheyes before, so this might sound ridiculous. Can you export the raw tracking data into AE like you would from Mocha? Or how about export just the Synth camera, and use it with your footage in an AE comp to perform the stabalizing? Then you can add the motion tile or CCrepeTile and all would work fine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]