ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

stretch list of names into Z space

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven J Caseystretch list of names into Z space
by on Nov 18, 2009 at 11:22:22 pm

I need to add a list of names to a project, kind of like a credit roll, but want to do something different. I'm picturing the names, about 200 total, placed into Z space and the camera flying through similar to the classic starfield effect. Of course instead of stars it's the names. I don't want them laying down like the Star Wars opening, but rather squarely facing the camera and not in a perfect line, more of a random feel. I thought of using Particular to scatter the names out but I don't see how to change the particle type to use multiple layers, otherwise I'd get hundreds of the same name. I don't own Plane Space but would that work for this idea? Other suggestions?

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: stretch list of names into Z space
by on Nov 19, 2009 at 1:34:12 am

Check out this tutorial from Lloyd Alvarez.

Return to posts index

scott novasicRe: stretch list of names into Z space
by on Nov 19, 2009 at 7:16:22 am

depends how deep into space you want to go. You can pretty quickly, manually animate individual layers
from a z distance up at you and past you. I would use a placeholder phrase and animate about 10 unique moves up and out past the screen. Then duplicate and tweak bezier handles, locations, speed, rotation or however complex you want to get all 10 of them. I would stagger them, dupe them and tweak and on and on to 200. Then I would replace the footage with the individual phrases. Sure, its a little time consuming, but if your fast with AE, I dont think it would take that long and you would get something more original than some plug in would provide.

Animation & Visual Effects
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca

Return to posts index

Steven J CaseyRe: stretch list of names into Z space
by on Nov 19, 2009 at 10:12:15 pm

Thanks guys, I'll give these a try.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved